Millie-Annie

WELCOME NEW MEMBERS. INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

Hi and welcome!  When we got chickens 10 years ago, we were like you and they went everywhere.  Sadly, when we had no garden, (because they’d eaten it) and too much poo to comfortably walk around or for the grandchildren to play safely, we confined them primarily to their own bit of the garden.  Still a fairly large space. That was about 5 years ago.  

With the Avian Flu outbreak two years ago, we had to confine them to their run for months.  And I realised that, actually, as long as they have food, water, a few interesting perches and toys, they are just as happy.   They adapt.  This gradual reduction of their freedom might also be due to the fact that most of them are now ancient, 9 and 10.  So all they want to do is potter, eat and sleep.  Although theses oldies have access to an enclosed wider space than their run during the day, they often stay put in the run. 

So, it will be interesting to see where you are in a few years time.   Beware though, they are addictive! 

• Like 1

On 07/06/2017 at 11:57 PM, theboyfrost said:

We have just moved into an old house in Belper, Derbyshire with a very long garden, and the current Mrs Frost always wanted chickens so we are going to have some. We have gone in the whole hog and just bought a cube with 3M Run for delivery at the end of the month (purple), we have also booked on to a chicken keeping course via omelet. We decided on the cube over the up as it just seems to be more spacious, we probably would like 4 chickens.

We are completely new to this (and the gardening we are having to do!). So expect us to be asking lots of obvious questions on here !

Welcome. The cubes are great, and even the new ones will hold 4 large hens easy enough; it's the outdoor space that's somewhat more important. If you can give them all at least 1sqm each, they'll appreciate it. Ask away with questions, I know I did when I first started out!

You'll find it oddly addictive.

• Like 1

Granny Trish- luckily he finds it amusing 😂 was quite suprised how desperate they were to eat beef burgers! And they are terrors for marmite! I used to sit in the garden and eat breakfast with them had to give up as I didn't get to eat any of it!

Patricia W- wow 9 or 10! Amazing.  What's your secret?! Yes the poo everywhere gets a little annoying! 😂 and yes so so so addictive.  I absolutely could not be without my girls now! So true re run, we are reducing a bit prior to our holiday (I'm going to miss them!) and they do seem fine.  Altho I miss my little house invaders even if I don't miss the poo!  

:)

Hey Millie Anne 

Welcome, just joined too & looking to keep hens again in the next few months after a sad loss following a fox 🦊 raid. I’ve had Novo Browns & Blackrocks myself & so going to upgrade security first & do some in-depth research before I select the next breed. Or maybe just go down the rescued bird route. 

Be good to hear from you. 

Neil 

I’m back! 🤗

After a chicken sabbatical I am to become a chicken keeper again. 🐓 it’s been about 6 years, I think, 🤔since I was last here. I’ve seen come familiar names amongst the posters though. 

I have a second hand eglu go, it’s battered a bit but will do the job however I’m already looking at the cube. Has this shrunk? I’m sure mine was bigger. I think chicken keeping is like an addiction. Once you’ve done it you can never quite get over the NEED for chickens in your life. 

Im going to be collecting my girls on 2nd of June from Southmead Poultry. Three. A reverse Sussex, a white ranger and a belle blue. 

Hi Im new! Not long moved to a house with my dream garden so chickens are now in place! Always been a dream of mine growing up as a city girl, but have the love of the great outdoors in my genes. We have three chickens  in a gifted Go with a 3m run. They free range most of the day and just about to get them a larger permanent  run. I would never have bought an Eglu as seemed such a lot of money but am now a convert and wouldnt think twice about buying another if I need to. 

Im enjoying having chickens, becoming slightly obsessed if im honest 😂 reading here I sense this is normal?! 

Seems as if i need to up my game obsession wise... 🤣

Just come in from building a walk in run....be thinking about runs 24/7 since the ladies arrived and realised the Eglu run wasnt big enough. I managed to convince current husband to help and pay! He has given our three ladies a wide birth since they arrived but heard him talk to one earlier....he is slowing thawing!! 🐔🐔🐔😍

• Haha 1

Hiya everyone 

I'm not really new here, I've been on hiatus for about 6 years so I feel I should reintroduce myself, I joined back in 2012 (I think) when I was about 12, I'm now 20, moved out and getting ready for chickens, I don't currently have any but I'm building a run and coop as we speak

I'm really looking forward to talking chickens with you all again 😊❤️

New here, up in West Yorkshire 

have looked after friends chick for 6 months when they were having an extension built. We liked their Eglu go.

currently building a 6m2 walk in run for forthcoming chickens, and also accidentally bought a cube mk2 off eBay on Monday! Probably a bit big for our intended 3 chickens but oh well

1 hour ago, majorbloodnock said:

Anyone who can buy a Cube accidentally is obviously going to fit in well on this forum.

Being realistic, though, if you get on well with the three chickens, more are likely to follow. With a Cube, you're already set. It's not overkill; it's forward planning.

A bit of that too. Was all set to buy a classic, then saw this with run and automatic door on eBay which were two of my wife’s requirements

Edited by LukeFRC

Hello to you too....waves🙋‍♀️! Welcome to The Forum! Spill the beans - where are you and what have you got (chickenwise, of course!)

2 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

A bit of that too. Was all set to buy a classic, then saw this with run and automatic door on eBay which were two of my wife’s requirements

Welcome to The Forum! What breed have you decided on or are you still choosing?

5 hours ago, soapdragon said:

Hello to you too....waves🙋‍♀️! Welcome to The Forum! Spill the beans - where are you and what have you got (chickenwise, of course!)

Welcome to The Forum! What breed have you decided on or are you still choosing?

Still choosing. Our friends recommended a breeder to buy from though

Hi, I'm Tristan. I live in a townhouse in NE England. My house has a big garden which I'm hoping to turn into a home for some chickens - particularly I'm interested in giving a loving home to ex battery hens and I am here to learn as much as I can before I make any final decisions.

I have experience keeping birds (parrots) indoors as pets but I currently live alone with just a cat, a ferret and a leopard gecko. 

Hopefully I'll get some hens soon, whenever the lockdown is over and I can visit other people who keep chickens to get a better idea of what I'm getting myself into!

Nice to meet you.

Hi Triss  - Welcome to The Forum. A good place to start your chicken owning journey would be to do a poultry keeping course. There are a couple of Forum members who run them but not too sure whether locations would work for you; from memory they are sort of midlands based! In the meantime do join in with us on The Forum; we are a friendly bunch!

Hi Henfriends! I cared for my son’s chickens a few years ago so when my holiday was cancelled in April I decided to get my own chickens with the refund.  Now, I have an Eglu go-up,with two extensions, a large enclosure (which takes up half the ‘lawn’) and three girls.  They are great fun and are completely daft, but quite friendly.  I have a black Maran,  an Oxford Brown . both laying well now, and an Emerald , who so far only seems to lay soft shell or even shell- less eggs.  So I’m patiently waiting for a blue egg!  

5037F02A-BB80-401B-BF73-162CCCA5525E.jpeg

385CF53D-4DDF-4E8E-9DC8-78F24E449A29.jpeg

• Like 1