Millie-Annie

WELCOME NEW MEMBERS. INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

Hi,

Just registered so I thought I would introduce us.

We have just moved into an old house in Belper, Derbyshire with a very long garden, and the current Mrs Frost always wanted chickens so we are going to have some. We have gone in the whole hog and just bought a cube with 3M Run for delivery at the end of the month (purple), we have also booked on to a chicken keeping course via omelet. We decided on the cube over the up as it just seems to be more spacious, we probably would like 4 chickens.

We are completely new to this (and the gardening we are having to do!). So expect us to be asking lots of obvious questions on here !

Nigel

Hi all,

I am new here. We have had chickens for two years, it was something we wanted to do for ages but moving to a North Yorkshire village (don't think chocolate box!) gave us the space to do so. We have two gingernuts and a buttercup (don't seem to be many of these around I believe they are sicilian but a local lady breeds them) who live in a large run in the garden. Future plans involve installing gates and fencing around the place so they can roam free!

Caroline

Hello.

I'm not new but it's been so long since I was on here that I feel new again.

I moved back to the UK from Ireland recently and my last remaining hen in Ireland was re-homed before the move.

I am now the proud keeper of four rescue hens... Clog, Sandal, Moccasin and Slipper. They live in my old Eglu Cube, which did make the move... where they have actually managed to grow some new feathers.

Hopefully I'll be about to see what people are up to.

Hi, :)

We've adopted rescue guinea pigs for about six years now, have recently moved to the outskirts of a small market town and are now wanting to adopt a couple of rescue/ex-battery hens, so Omlet seemed the ideal forum to come to. We have a couple of friends that also keep chickens, and we're excited to be joining them. (We won't be keeping our piggies with the hens, in case anyone was wondering.)

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

GrannyT

Hello all, just received my 3 meter cube Tuesday after work. Hoping to see the sun for this weekend's assembly party. I've raised Bob white quail and pigeons years ago and always wanted the benefits of raising my own laying hens. Looking to involve my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter...she loves chickens. We have another grandchild on the way in September. What kid wouldn't like to help Papa gather up some fresh eggs?

Iv'e done a fair bit of research and remembering how hard it was (for me) to keep wooden coops clean and dry(I live on the east coast of Canada). If it's not snowing it's raining and foggy. The biggest selling point for the cube was ease of cleaning. Looking forward to the experience.

Love the forums so far! Just trying to find my way around.

Stepnout

Welcome, Stepnout. Our granddaughter will be two next month and loves our chickens - except when they flap their wings!

We live in Scotland and visited Nova Scotia and New Brunswick three years ago and loved it. We'd love to go back. Everyone was so polite and friendly. :-D

Welcome.gif

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GrannyTrish said:

Welcome, Stepnout. Our granddaughter will be two next month and loves our chickens - except when they flap their wings!

We live in Scotland and visited Nova Scotia and New Brunswick three years ago and loved it. We'd love to go back. Everyone was so polite and friendly. :-D

Welcome.gif

Thank you GrannyTrish. We live in New Brunswick. We have a great number of Scottish descendants here. In 1970 I worked in the local shipyard. An older Scottish gentlemen took me under his wing to become his fishing partner. we traveled NB for 30 years fishing Atlantic Salmon (the king of fish in my mind) After a full life my friend passed, in his 90's.

Tight Lines

Stepnout

12 hours ago, Chortle Chook said:

Welcome Stepnout. In Canada you just might find the Omlet harsh weather cube cover helpful ;)

Well yes CC, I've previously contacted the Canadian supplier about this and also a 2x2x2 walk in to put on the end of my 3 mtr run. It will give me a chance to get in a shovel the snow out.

Of course the run will be covered.

Cheers

Stepnout

11 hours ago, stepnout said:

We live in New Brunswick.

Tight Lines

Stepnout

Lots of NB towns are named after Scottish towns and your Saint Andrews is as pretty as our St. Andrews, although not quite as historic. We stayed a night at a B&B in Hampton which was owned by an ex-hockey player who told us that the snow the winter before was so bad that it was over the top of his windows and crushed his garden furniture! I much preferred the temperatures we got. The first photo was taken when we arrived at Funday Bay. The second photo was a necessity at Shediac! 8):lol:

I haven't seen Tight Lines for a long time. One of my Directors at work was an angler and would write that on some letters.

Trish

20150818_FundyBayNB.jpg

20150818_ShediacNB.JPG

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GrannyTrish said:

Lots of NB towns are named after Scottish towns and your Saint Andrews is as pretty as our St. Andrews, although not quite as historic. We stayed a night at a B&B in Hampton which was owned by an ex-hockey player who told us that the snow the winter before was so bad that it was over the top of his windows and crushed his garden furniture! I much preferred the temperatures we got. The first photo was taken when we arrived at Funday Bay. The second photo was a necessity at Shediac! 8):lol:

I haven't seen Tight Lines for a long time. One of my Directors at work was an angler and would write that on some letters.

Trish

20150818_FundyBayNB.jpg

20150818_ShediacNB.JPG

Yes I live in Saint John. Here is an article regarding that record snowfall. and a picture of my driveway one particular snowfall. The picture says it all

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/saint-john-smashes-52-year-old-snowfall-record-1.3001318

IMG_0027.JPG

Hello all! 

I've only just seen this - not quite got to grips with the boards yet! Some of you probably recognise me as I've already been on a fair bit and been very grateful for the advice! So thank you :)

We live in Surrey and have 4 gorgeous 10 month old cream legbars: Egg, Crumb, Nora and Spot, who we raised from a day old. Sadly we lost little Shellington to Mareks last month, which was awful. We also have a chicken loving 5 year old, 2 house rabbits and a lovely little dog who the chooks boss about!!!

We have a cube and WIR but when home our girls are out with us, usually under the kitchen table 😂 or on the sofa! They are very spoilt girls 😂

Really enjoying our girls and very happy to be a member of this lovely group. :)

Edited by Natspringy

13 hours ago, Natspringy said:

We have a cube and WIR but when home our girls are out with us, usually under the kitchen table 😂 or on the sofa! They are very spoilt girls 😂

Our girls only come in the house if I carry them but I don't have them in for long in case they poop. How do you deal with the poopy mess on your sofa?!

It has a throw on but they've never seem to! Luckily the kitchen floor is wooden so  easy to clean up because they do poo a fair bit on it. 

Sweet yours wait to be invited ours just invade! If we are eating they even jump onto the table.  Very cheeky girls 😂