munchkin

Water instead of poo

Hi everyone

On Saturday we got a new chicken as our lovely Margot was taken by a fox. :cry: So now we have Barbara (original chicken) and Prinny (newbie). Barbara seemed relatively unscathed following her friend been taken and she has laid an egg every day since.

However today Barbara is not pooing, just water is coming out. On cleaning out the poo tray it was just diahorrea (unsure if this was Barbara or newbie or both). However Barbara seems fine - eating mealworms and tuna this afternoon!

Prinny (newbie) is doing yellow poos. She is very nervous (as expected) and is approx 16 weeks - no sign of laying yet. Prinny seems a little stressed as Barbara is showing her who's boss - however no serious damage just a lot of running away and noise.

I feed them on layers pellets porridge - contains diatom, garlic powder, bokashi bran and limestone flour mixed with water. They have little bit of corn in afternoon and i hang a cabbage daily.

I have given Barbara some vermx (in the tuna) tonight but have just ordered flubenvet following advice on the forum. Prinny wouldn't eat anything as I think she was not hungry.

Do you think it is a worm problem or could it be something else?

Why are Prinny's poos yellow?

Thanks in advance

The poos are often like this when the hen is moved to a new home. Stress/change of environment/slight change to diet.

I'd keep her just on pellets and water for a few days, with just bokashi bran if you have some and maybe a dollop of probiotic youghurt.

Also, I'd cut out treats till she is more settled.

If she's showing any other signs of illness such as looking hunched, puffed out, lethargic, not eating/drinking or you notice any blood in her droppings, get her down to see a vet as very watery bright yellow droppings can be a sign of disease. Check this topic to see if the droppings look similar - Frothy Yellow Droppings If she's bright and perky, as Egluntine's said, it's probably just her getting used to her new surroundings.