clare*

Guinea pigs and rabbits

Sorry, but it really isn't recommended that GPs and bunnies are kept together - they have different dietary requirements and there have been lots of instances where GPs have been kicked ort savaged by bunnies. I know of two instances where they have been kept together, but then have tummy problems because of their different needs foodwise.

Having kept both species (apart) myself, I wouldn't recommend it.

Yes, I would definitely agree with Claret there. My bunnies love to run around, and could easily injure a guinea pig by mistake. And I don't feed them the same diet either (bunnies need less green food and protein than piggies).

Another thing to take into consideration is that, although they would appear to be company for each other, being 2 different species, they can't actually communicate properly. Bunnies love other bunnies, to groom and cuddle up to, and guinea pigs like other guinea pigs, but are less into cuddling up and more into communicating through noise etc.

I agree with the general consensus here. Guineas and rabbits should not be housed together. Even if they do get on a startled or excited rabbit can kick out with it's strong legs injuring the guinea. They have different dietary requirements (Guineas nee dmore veg and too much veg does bad things to the rabbits tummy).

Rabbits also tend to get a bit rampant as their hormones kick in and the guinea could become it's play thing. Potential to be crushed as even the smallest rabbit is far stronger than a guinea. Rabbits with rabbits. Guineas with guineas......just get the sexing right!!! :lol:

The RSPCA reccommends that they are NOT kept together. There's an exception to every rule, but I wouldn't want to risk it with a guineas life.