GKH

Adapting an eglu run

Hello

I'd like some advice about adapting the eglu run. One of my girls has a gammy leg and she keeps getting it caught in the run when she tries to hop over. She either gets stuck there an has to wait for someone to 'unhook' her or Quite often she doesn't make it and falls on her face. Would it be okay to cut off the small wire section below the run entrance (hope i explained that okay) would it still be fox proof? we have quite a lot of foxes around our way and i never let them out when i'm not there.

Any advice greatly recieved :?:

Hi GKH, I don't know whether this will be of any help or not but one of our girls (also an ex batt) broke her foot some weeks ago. For a while she was completely immobile and we had to lift her from place to place but she is making a good recovery and is now able on most occassions to hop over the bit you refer to. If your circumstances are similar I am sure she will make it too. The down side for us has been that she hasn't laid a single egg since her "accident" Allison x

Hello Sparksmum

When we adopted her from BHWT her leg was broken then, the vet said it couldn't be fixed.

it's her femur equivalent. we have had her since May she seems to mange okay, i lift her into the eglu via side window, food has to come to her if they are out and having treats. but she is so sad when she gets stuck. quite often the other girls knock her over in their rush to go no where in particular ! Also her belly gets pooey and is bald. I'm not painting a very good picture am i - i can't believe how much i worry about her :(

I'd like some advice about adapting the eglu run. One of my girls has a gammy leg and she keeps getting it caught in the run when she tries to hop over. She either gets stuck there an has to wait for someone to 'unhook' her or Quite often she doesn't make it and falls on her face.

Poor little hen :( What about putting a slab on either side of the door to raise the ground so she deosn't have to climb over? A wooden ramp each side might work too.

I think if you cut that bit of wire away, the run would be less sturdy and could be a problem with foxes. It would be a bit of a risk I think.

I'd like some advice about adapting the eglu run. One of my girls has a gammy leg and she keeps getting it caught in the run when she tries to hop over. She either gets stuck there an has to wait for someone to 'unhook' her or Quite often she doesn't make it and falls on her face.

Poor little hen :( What about putting a slab on either side of the door to raise the ground so she deosn't have to climb over? A wooden ramp each side might work too.

I think if you cut that bit of wire away, the run would be less sturdy and could be a problem with foxes. It would be a bit of a risk I think.

slabs blurry good idea that!

You could try sodocrem on her tru, or metanium has bee fantastic for clearing up my ex bats sore bum, (well not fully yet but not red & sore like it was.)(nappy rash ointment.

Have you tried a ceramic dog bowl(won't get knocked over) with fpood also water for her so there is less of a bun fight for food! might suit her lower down too.

bless her!

thanks guys.

ain't "Ooops, word censored!"ody there - your girls look happy !!

sandy - i bought asmart new door mat at the weekend and the old one is rolled up by the bin. Sometimes the simplest solutions :) i'm going to try it right now