JulesL Posted September 19, 2008 Share Posted September 19, 2008 Hi I've noticed over the last 3 days Betty has started sleeping in the egg box in the Eglu at night. She is also in the nesting box a lot during the day. She comes out when she sees me throw s"Ooops, word censored!"s out for the other two girls and will stay out for a couple of hours before going back in. So far I've been an egg down for the last 2 days but I don't know who it is who hasn't laid. Does this mean she has gone broody? I thought if they went broody they just stayed in the nesting box but she is more than happy to come out if it means kitchen s"Ooops, word censored!"s! If she has gone broody then I don't understand why when the eggs are never left even to go cold!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chelsea Posted September 19, 2008 Share Posted September 19, 2008 sounds like broodiness to me. Tell tale signs - not shifting off nestbox, hen puffs up when you approach her, sometimes she will peck you if you try to move her, odd grunting noises, and general grumpiness. She could be what I call "semi broody", where she is just starting to show the signs but cant quite make her mind up if she will or not! Block off the nestbox with something (upturned plantpot or football/similar), that might get her out of it. Dont let her sleep in it at night. Dont worry - my hens go broody just at the word broody so there doesnt have to be eggs in the nestbox to make them like it. It might be this nice warm weather spell we have been having. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
JulesL Posted September 19, 2008 Author Share Posted September 19, 2008 OK thanks. I've just walked up the garden and thrown more s"Ooops, word censored!"s out so she has come running out. I've put a big brick in there for now (only thing I could find close by!!) and will hunt around for a spare plant pot later. What about my other girls when they want to lay though? I have got to shut them all in the run tomorrow for the day as I won't be around to let them free range... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chelsea Posted September 19, 2008 Share Posted September 19, 2008 during the day when you are not around you will have to leave the nestbox free. (I have to do that when I go to work) and I just leave them to sort themselves out. My layers usually cause so much commotion they bully the broody off the nest or they will squeeze her out by divebombing into the nestbox If/when you are around to supervise keep an eye out for her and turf her out as soon as you see her. If you notice one wants to lay shut the broody outside of the run until she's laid the egg. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
JulesL Posted September 19, 2008 Author Share Posted September 19, 2008 OK! The other thing I've noticed is that when she is in the garden she flaps her wings and takes a few steps backwards. She's doing it quite a lot (looks like she is starting up a new chicken dance!). Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Helen&Lee Posted September 19, 2008 Share Posted September 19, 2008 OK! The other thing I've noticed is that when she is in the garden she flaps her wings and takes a few steps backwards. She's doing it quite a lot (looks like she is starting up a new chicken dance!). My broody does that when I chuck her off the nesting box, she is just stretching herself after spending a few hours like a pancake. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
JulesL Posted September 22, 2008 Author Share Posted September 22, 2008 Agggghhhr! Right, have had to remove upturned plant pot because Betty kept sitting on it. There is now one of the boys' footballs in there. However, Raquel has now stopped laying although isn't broody. I don't know whether this is because there is something in the nesting box. I assumed that she would just lay anyway but find somewhere else in the Eglu/run. I'm at work tomorrow and Wed so can't keep my eye on them or keep taking Betty out of the Eglu. It has been a week now. How long does it take for them to start laying again? Betty has been out of the Eglu (by force) for all of today. Will she snap out of it soon? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...