Aggienator

Choosing a breed

Been up to Storrs today to have a look at a few, so many different types to chose from! Current thoughts are now either bantam Light Sussex or Black Rock. How did you decide which breed to go for? We have an average sized garden with a small veg patch. The chooks will spend most of their time in the run, but will get to free range when we are out with them.

Cheers Aggie

I decided that hybrids would be the best for me to start with as they come ready vaccinated and are fairly robust, plus they lay all year. I prefer the idea of large fowl to bantams as I wondered if my cat might be too interested in smaller birds. Then I looked at how many eggs they might lay and what colours they were!

There is an article in the latest Practical Poultry about deciding which hens to have. Mine is on a subscription and arrived today, but it should be in the shops this week too, I would have thought!

There is an article in the latest Practical Poultry about deciding which hens to have.

I got my copy today too and was going to say the same thing. It's Issue 60 - March 09.

http://www.practicalpoultry.co.uk/

Some of the main decisions to make are:

1. chickens vs bantams

2. and then pure breed vs hybrids

3. How many birds to get (for your space/housing).

4. For eggs or meat?

5. Egg colour?

6. Friendlyness/flightyness of breed

There is some really good info on how to make those decisions and what to buy on this link below. But their prices are a bit out of date - much higher now about £15 for a hybrid.

http://www.omlet.co.uk/files/public/omlet_guide_buying_chickens.pdf

Personally I initially opted for some docile, friendly hybrids for consistant egg laying & vaccinated etc. But I think in future I would definately opt for pure breeds (no eggs in winter) for their lovely variety.

Lots to consider....... have fun choosing.

Personally I initially opted for some docile, friendly hybrids for consistant egg laying & vaccinated etc. But I think in future I would definately opt for pure breeds (no eggs in winter) for their lovely variety.

Lots to consider....... have fun choosing.

Still feeling a bit boggled, but definitely want something friendly and BH wants eggs for as much of the year as possible.

Will venture out tomorrow in search of Practical Poultry!

Many Thanks.

Aggie

im currently building a walk in run and when completed (hopefully in 2 weeks weather permitting) i will be looking to add 2 chickens to the current 2 i have.

im looking at different breed to get on with my PP and GNR . im interested in amber star and speckled star. we are heading to salisbury market in 2 weeks to view different breeds