kerrie

Info needed for school please

Hello, my sons' primary school has asked me if I know anywhere where they can get duck eggs and incubator? (as I've got an eglu I think they think I know of all thinks chicken/duck related!). :D

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance :D

Kerrie

:lol: - I know that feeling.....I have ducks and people seem to think I know all about ducks :lol: - I don't :lol:

You could try both Practical Poultry and River Cottage forums for hatching eggs and incubators . There are always eggs on Ebay but I had a bad experience with hatching eggs from Ebay - others have had no problem.

Will the school have arrangements in place to home any resulting drakes?

Hi, I'm not sure if they've thought of what to do with any drakes-my guess is that the head will have thought of that and have some kind of plan-but I will mention it to him.. I'll have a look at P.P and River Cottage as suggested. Any other ideas appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Kerrie,

Don't know whether you have considered hiring an incubator. As it's a new exercise, this may be a cheaper option, particularly if it's a one-off. If it becomes a permanent part of the 'curriculum' you could always buy one later.

From talking to friends, duck eggs seem to be less successful from E-bay than chickens eggs; a local farmer or breeder would be a far better bet.

Good luck.

Max.

Whoops - forgot to say that http://www.chickenkeeper.co.uk hire incubators and have been recommended to me. (I shall use them to hatch a couple of ducks later this year).