Headchicken

! Need advice please !

My girls are now almost 8 wks old and love their (cube green) . I let them free-range when I'm outside doing chores, but due to large birds of prey in the area (and their still small size) they're in the run the rest of the day (though the run is moved daily).

My question is concerning caterpillars. It's definitely spring around here (FL) and I ran across a number of tussock moth caterpillars while running errands today. I collected them and brought them home for the girls (since the go absolutely crazy when I bring out the worms!), but now I'm scared to offer the caterpillars! Will a young pullet know if a bug is not appropriate to eat/poisonous? I don't want to give my girls something that will hurt or kill them!!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Guest

Errr.... no idea either.

Over here in the UK I don't "harvest" any caterpillers for them. I do dig up copious worms though and they have a feeding frenzy. They must pick up and eat all sorts of things when free ranging and I guess they hopefully know what to eat and what not to eat....????????