bellekatz

And now we are three!

We picked up our new girl this morning. The others are out freeranging whilst Elle is in the Eglu, Tonight I am planning on putting Elle in the dog crate in the garage and then letting them all freerange tomorrow whilst we clean the eglu and after the other two have laid. Do you think it would be ok to try her in with them tomorrow evening? The others dont seem too bothered so far, each has tried to peck her once through the bars but otherwise ignored her. We have only had them a few weeks so thought it better to introduce a third now before they are too set in their ways. She is such a pretty girl. :D

ellesmall.jpg

I've never seperated them at night, when doing introuductions, and have never had any problems overnight.

Once they are settled into the eglu for the night, they seem happy to accept the strange chook in their bed, and they'll all snuggle happily - the breeder I get my chickens from actually recommended we make sure they are in at night together from the start, as it helps them get usedto each others smells.

:D:D:D:D

Good luck with the introductions!

Thanks Karen and Chookie hen - I have added Elle to the Eglu once the others have settled and all seems quiet so far. I am quite happy to carry on separating them during the day for the next few days at least if they will settle together at night. My niehgbours will be wondering why there is torchlight every 15 minutes at the bottom of my garden tonight!!! :roll:

She is a crested cream legbar. I have to say it was all quiet last night and they looked quite comfy together when I got up at 7,00am tis morning to let the big girls out. WE have just pressure washed the eglu in the middle of a thunderstorm - took it to bits when it was cloudy and then got soaked putting it back together again! Would have left it but thought the chucks might have wanted some cover - but.....nawww, they are much happier pottering about getting wet! :roll::roll: My O.H. is not so happy that he got wet!!! Might let all three roam together this afternoon for a bit and then put them all back together tonight. Fingers crossed they all behave as they have done so far!