Chooks Aloud

Here we go again ...

It must be the time of the month again for my male GPs. Went out to lock them up last night only to find them humping away and fighting. Food took their minds off it for a while but once they'd finished that they were at it again. It's not the humping, it's the fighting.

So in came Bodger to spend the evening with us - placid as you like and spent the evening curled up on my lap. I put them back in together this morning, so I shall see what they are like when I get home. Males eh??? They have a large run to explore, so they have the opportunity of getting away from one another.

I have already spilt these 2 up from their other brother and I do not want to get another cage and run in order to split these 2 up.

Does anyone know how long it is before they live in harmony? They are about 18 months old now. Don't really want to go along the castration route (opinions differ as to whether this works or not).

Thanks

Karen

Hi Chooks,

My two guineas are boys, 2yr old litter brothers and never separated. They live in a two storey palace! (it's 1.5mx1m on the ground floor and half the size on the second) and as with you, they have plenty to do, eat, hide in and escape to but when the mood takes them they do fight. Like you, I've tried all sorts, and am wary of neutering them.

With my two it is an issue with dominance, in the beginning Dexter was the more dominant guinea, but as they've got older the balance has equalled. Although they can cause a real rukus and its very hard to distract them, they are not very physical with each other and they never draw blood and as soon as they're done they're the best of friends again.

I make sure someone is watching to intervene when they do kick off, just to be safe. I do not like to separate them, I think that when there is a dominance issue equal treatment works best, and if we get to them just at the start of it all and its safe to pick them up, we take them out for some unscheduled floor time and generally they forget fighting in favour of a good explore and stealing the cats' biscuits!

Lu