Sky Posted May 2, 2009 Share Posted May 2, 2009 My Speckledy Sophie has only been laying for a few weeks but now appears to have gone broody. I am reluctant to do the "broody cage treatment" if I can sort it any other way. We have an ark which has two nesting boxes. I am closing all the nesting boxes at night and in the morning I open them up. Sophie immediately takes up residence in one box and 3 of my other hens lay in the other. Nora jumps in with Sophie and lays her egg. Once this is all complete (usually before 8.30am) all except Sophie come down the ladder. I have then been taking Sophie out of the nesting box and closing both boxes off again. She then comes down the ladder and appears to be quite happy for the rest of the day doing usual "chicken things". She doesn't try to make a nest in the run or anything like that. My question is, can I continue like this and for how long is the situation likely to last. Would it be better to try to prevent Sophie from getting on the nest first thing if possible i.e. by putting her in a separate cage until the others have finished laying. Sorry for all the questions but I didn't expect this problem so early in my "chicken experience". Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
quickcluck Posted May 2, 2009 Share Posted May 2, 2009 I think you are doing OK!!! If she can't get into the nest box eventually she'll break out of it! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
smanners Posted May 2, 2009 Share Posted May 2, 2009 My speckledy did the same and was semi broody for a week or so I was careful to remove the eggs promptly and ousted her from her nest once she had laid. Luckily she didn't try to go back once removed. It was a bit time consuming for a while but it worked and she gave up. I didn't need the broody cage. Unfortunately my Black Rock was more persistent and is now sitting on eggs but that's another story Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Patricia W Posted May 2, 2009 Share Posted May 2, 2009 Sounds like you are doing the right thing. Keep it up. Tricia Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...