MadAboutChooks

Egg Laying - How many should I expect?

Hi There,

Have had my 3 girls for just over a week now, and they had just started laying when I had got them. However the question that I am wondering is do they start laying gradually or once they start should they lay more or less every day? I understood that my chooks would lay about 300 eggs per year. However they seem to lay for two days then have a day off! Is this normal? Today out of 3 chooks I didnt get 1 egg!! :( although I did get 3 yesterday. I am loving having them and they seem happy and healthy, and manage to get out and free range for a couple of hours each day. Am I expecting too much??. :?

They may take a few weeks to establish a regular pattern, but even then you can expect the odd day off. My two gingernuts laid every day for the first year I had them, but I think I was very lucky with that - five or six eggs a week would be a good average.

I'm guessing your girls are just still getting used to the whole thing, you'll get some odd-shaped eggs and some days without but by summer they should be laying pretty regularly.