jenniewren76 Posted June 6, 2009 Share Posted June 6, 2009 Hi How do I and where do I shake the powder on my girls? is it all over? and whats the best way to do it? I sprinkled some in their dust bath but they just abandon bath and make a new one!!! Well at least my garden smells great Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted June 7, 2009 Share Posted June 7, 2009 Try and get a bit all over but concentrate on around the vent, back of the neck and under their wings Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Budgies Posted June 7, 2009 Share Posted June 7, 2009 As lwescott says, those are the target areas because they are dark and warm and moist. It needs rubbing into their skin, not just sprinkling on their feathers. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
dave2500 Posted June 8, 2009 Share Posted June 8, 2009 I may be lucky, but there is a regime i use. Start off with cleaning their coop with jeyes fluid, and drying out. Then I liberally sprinkle red mite powder along all the cracks and joins etc. I then add their straw.. (Their straw is kept in the shed, and when I buy it, I open the bag and sprinkle some powder in it... even though the straw is unlikely to be used up for six to seven months). When I had added the straw i then sprinkle this with the powder as well... (Only a light dusting). My girls are always on my lap, and I groom them, by checking every layer of feathers etc... (its something we do.... Anyway... In all the time I have had my girls, I have never come across a single flea, never come across a mite or tick, and in their coop never come across any kind of mite either.. May be lucky, but I think prevention is better than cure... Cheers Dave Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Budgies Posted June 8, 2009 Share Posted June 8, 2009 Wouldn't use Jeyes fluid personally Dave. Chookies have really sensitive respiratory systems and it's strong stuff. Plus highly toxic to some animals (I know it can kill cats). Poultry Shield or another proprietary cleaner is probably better. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...