katieadams Posted June 10, 2009 Share Posted June 10, 2009 Hi everyone, my husband has broken our sat nav and we're due to go to France on Sunday so his timing could have been better!! We need to buy a new one, pronto!! I haven't got time to research them all in my usual meticulous way, so any recommendations/warnings?? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
..lay a little egg for me Posted June 10, 2009 Share Posted June 10, 2009 We have a Garmin. It seemed fine and guided us around France last year with no more problems that we get in the UK A friend, however, had one that did not have detailed mapping of Europe and his was pretty useless as it only had the main roads. So my advice is to make sure it has detailed mapping. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
katieadams Posted June 10, 2009 Author Share Posted June 10, 2009 Oh that's a good tip - we're going to the Dordogne so will definitely need the little roads!! Which Garmin is it you've got? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ClaireG Posted June 10, 2009 Share Posted June 10, 2009 DH has to use his sat nav a lot because of work and he has a Garmin Nuvi. It got us round France well in December. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
katieadams Posted June 10, 2009 Author Share Posted June 10, 2009 I've been looking at the Garmin Nuvi 255T Europe Sat Nav, or the Tomtom IQ Europe route. Was leaning towards tomtom just because our old one was a tomtom so I know how to do it but might switch to Garmin now The Garmin one has the traffic info so might be good to have warning of jams.... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
..lay a little egg for me Posted June 10, 2009 Share Posted June 10, 2009 Oh that's a good tip - we're going to the Dordogne so will definitely need the little roads!! Which Garmin is it you've got? err...Nuvi...can't remember the model number, but it might be the 255. It is a fairly basic one as neither OH or I have bluetooth phones so the traffic updates would not have been much use. If you do have bluetooth, then it could well be worth having. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
katieadams Posted June 10, 2009 Author Share Posted June 10, 2009 This one reckons it doesn't need bluetooth, something about it getting fm updates from all over - dunno if it'd work though, all a bit nonesense to me Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted June 10, 2009 Share Posted June 10, 2009 I asked tha same question recently Katie and the generalconsensus was that the basic TomTom is about the best you can get and good value for money. I also needed the Europe map so plumped for the slightly more expensive TomTom GO 730. It is great, very easy to use, fast signal pickup and links to my mobile through bluetooth so you get hands free calling if required. Haven't tried it in France yet, but I've already loaded our destination (you can use it via the docking station linked to the PC) and checked the route and all seems in order Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
kitchens Posted June 10, 2009 Share Posted June 10, 2009 Tom Tom all the way. We went to France last weekend, to Normandy. It got us there brilliantly. Its great when you are on the motorways because it flashes up a message which corresponds with the motorway signs over head. Good stuff Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
kitchens Posted June 10, 2009 Share Posted June 10, 2009 Just reminded me of something funny..... My father in law decided to get a sat nav as they were going to France for their holiday last year .... I piped up "you do know that it speaks to you in French when you are in France and Italian when you are in Italy" ..... for one moment he thought I was serious!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bellekatz Posted June 10, 2009 Share Posted June 10, 2009 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
katieadams Posted June 11, 2009 Author Share Posted June 11, 2009 I think I'll try that on my husband!!! Mind you he'd probably just tell me I had to translate it then I've just been out and taken the plunge - went for the Garmin in the end, got one that does europe and traffic for £109.99 so couldn't argue with that price. Our old tomtom had been great apart from it'd driven me mad needing resetting all the time but it really came down to what was available in stock near us we need it so quick! We're off on Sunday I can't wait (got to pack for us all and get the house ship shape first though, no time for trailing round shopping for sat nav!) Thanks for your help everyone Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...