MaxBaz Posted July 3, 2009 Share Posted July 3, 2009 Despite my best efforts my girls are inundated by visits from rats inside their Cube. We have had the council out to bait around us, but as they have a strict "3 visit only" policy are not being very co-operative in letting us have another course. The Council are however suggesting we make sure we restrict food access to the rats whereever possible. This is extremely difficult when Mr Rat can get inside the Cube and help themselves to the Grub. I do take the Grub out from 7.00pm to 6.00am but the rats are around all the time - I can go out at midday and find 4-5 huge rats running around inside or having a drink in the water trough. I'm sure I have seen rat-proof feeders suitable for large numbers of hens, but can't seem to find anything with any of the normal suppliers I use for a small flock. Any ideas? The Council have agreed to visit us in about 3 weeks to assess, but suggested we bait independently ourselves in the meantime. I have got two bait boxes and some Rentokil Rat Killer but am petrified that the girls will pick up any droppings and become ill. I can't move the Cube from its current location and it is literally beside where the rats are nesting. HELP.......... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted July 3, 2009 Share Posted July 3, 2009 Poor you, that is my idea of hell. I hate rats and yours sound very brazen. I used a bait box but 1 rat seemed to be thriving on the bait. I was told that there is vitamin K in chicken feed (antidote to rat poison) and that the rat was surviving as a result of eating both. I am sure that this can't be true. Anyway, what worried me is that the rat was taking food away and storing it in areas that the chickens could get to. The most successful way of getting rid of them I have found is a husband and an air rifle. I don't know of any way of feeding without rats being able to get to the food too. Good Luck. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted July 3, 2009 Share Posted July 3, 2009 Egluntine posted somewhere else about this feeder. Would it work for you? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted July 3, 2009 Share Posted July 3, 2009 Yep I did. I have one and I'm as sure as I can be that it works. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MaxBaz Posted July 4, 2009 Author Share Posted July 4, 2009 Thank you, I had found this feeder as I use this company for general suppliers - I just thought it might be a bit too big for just four girls and take up a lot of room in the Cube. However, I have looked at the measurements and if that is the best option, then I will get one. Has anybody had any problems getting the girls used to the treadle/food operation? It holds 10kg which is a lot, wish they made a smaller version! Still open to anybody elses views. Thanks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted July 4, 2009 Share Posted July 4, 2009 Has anybody had any problems getting the girls used to the treadle/food operation? They haven't a clue at first. I propped it open with a brick during the day only for a few day, so that they knew where to feed from and then removed it and they soon cottoned on. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted July 4, 2009 Share Posted July 4, 2009 Egluntine posted somewhere else about this feeder. Would it work for you? ooh, this looks exciting! Can wood pigeons use it? I really like the look of this an think I may get one Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...