Alis girls Posted July 4, 2009 Share Posted July 4, 2009 Was on allotment this pm and pulled up a dried up looking potato plant and lo an behold first spuds Only prob is we planted loads to try and get rid of weeds and its worked, now need to clear out shed ready to store when the time comes. I now need 100 things to do with new spuds. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
carrie Posted July 4, 2009 Share Posted July 4, 2009 I always grow potatoes but this year we decided to grow some at the day nursery I work at. We grew them in potato sacks and we harvested them the other day. We have no hob at nursery, only an oven so the children scubed them, I sliced them and we roasted them in the oven with some herbs we were also growing (no par boiling) the taste was stunning far nicer than any roasties I,ve made. The children loved them. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
majorbloodnock Posted July 5, 2009 Share Posted July 5, 2009 Do you buy your layers' pellets/mixed corn(/whatever you feed your chickens) in large paper sacks? If so, they're perfect sacks for storing your spuds. As for finding more uses for the spuds, I can't think of a more effective way than a potato curry - uses loads for the size of meal, keeps well after cooked and tastes delicious. In fact, that goes for lots of vegetables you may find in glut. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted July 5, 2009 Author Share Posted July 5, 2009 thanks- i will gert some sacks - dont have chucks yet but working on OH!! Shed needs a major overhaul and a health and safety once over as cut thumb on rusty nail yesteerday and will be getting colleague to me a tet booster tommorrow. Yes may try veggie curry. Boiling my first load with mint for use with roast as we speak. Also picked a whole 2oz of yes 2oz of blackcurrants - pigeons had eaten rest i shouldve picked them last week instead of being lazy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...