jan_novice_chicken_keeper

Chicken with swollen breast

Help! Dotty, my speckledy hen, has a large swelling on her breast on one side. When giving her a cuddle late tonight when I checked they were all settled for the night, I noticed it for the first time. It is large (small apple sized) and distinct, but not hot and with no sign of pus or discharge. The skin is very red over part of it, but not broken. (She has just got over being broody and had plucked part of her breast so it is easy to see some of the skin.) She seems fine in herself and seems to be laying fine, although I can not be certain - one of my hens is laying soft-shelled eggs at the moment, but I am pretty sure it is not Dotty as we got a couple whilst she was broody and she does not normally lay at all when broody). She is alert, behaving normally and very friendly, just as usual. She did not mind me touching the lump. Has anyone else seen anything similar? I have not found anything useful in my chicken books, and I am very worried about her. She is a real character, and we just adore her. I see in the Wiki there is a vet on the list that is very near us (I presume this means that someone has used them for their chickens and recomended them?), and I will happily take her if necessary, but I am worried about stressing her unnecessarily by packing her in a box etc.

Sorry this is long,

J

I panicked about this the first time I came across it too! It sounds like she has a full crop - the crop fills up with food and then the food is broken down by stomach acids and grit. It should be gone by morning. If you check your other chickens, they should have it too.

Hope this helps.