Daphne Posted July 22, 2009 Share Posted July 22, 2009 BC - don't fret unduly. You've analysed this well and you know where things started to go wrong. You won't buy in a rush of excitement again and you'll quarantine for longer. I can tell you myco is a real pain (yes it can be treated but not 100% - the weakest will get found out) and you/your vet did all the right things. We've had it and the weak stock succumbed and I won't breed from those who had it. Over time, we've lost stock, including several in a short space of time, and although its not pleasant, I, like you, know I'm not a bad keeper of animals. We all live and learn and chickens are very contrary and fragile beasties. Take your time, things will come right - there's loads more fun to be had. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beach chick Posted July 22, 2009 Author Share Posted July 22, 2009 thank you both, that's very comforting. the kids are actually ok; the 10yo in particular was brilliant about holding Juanita while I fed her, the 12yo would feed her but not hold her. its an important life lesson for them I think. I just feel sad that she had a nice life with us, but not enough of it really. we've had our oldest 2, Paris and Char, for 2 yrs now and they are the grande dames; their 2 sisters went via a visiting labrador and the fox; the next batch of 6 newbies were fab til 1 turned out to be a boy and was rehomed; then the fox got 3; and we got the latest 7.... when it all went a bit Pete Tong! oh well, see what the morning brings - hopefully healthy chooks and lots of eggs! thanks again Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...