MaggieMcHen

Bee keeping courses in Kent?

You're highly unlikely to find a course of that length or indeed of any length at the moment and an intensive week long course can't really condense a full year of bee keeping, even a six or eight week one evening a week course fails to provide that!

One evening a month learning theory and hive/frame assembly over the winter with a weekend hands on course next May/June might be available from a number of places across the country, but having said that lots of places offering weekend courses for 2010 were full and had waiting lists before this years courses had even been run!

These might be some help.

http://www.britishbee.org.uk/calendar/calendar.php?calendar=3

http://www.kentbee.com/kbka/education/courses/index.shtml

Professional week long residential courses in industries other than beekeeping can cost thousands of pounds. Associations don't run such courses because there is no demand for them. However, were you to publicize the fact you are willing to part with thousands of pounds for a week long course I'm sure you will get lots of competent beekeepers offering you a solution!

Thanks to both of you -

pdcambs: I wasn't quite looking for anything quite as comprehensive as that. :lol:

m100: Thank you very much for your very useful links.

I really want to find out about bee keeping and prefer a course. I didn't expect to get everything in one week just a really good start so that I could then consider the next step - getting bees next spring perhaps. I have already considered the positioning of the hive and talked with a bee keeper who keeps bees on his allotment. I have also joined my local bee keeping group.

Some Adult Education Centres have run bee-keeping courses as a term-long subject in the past. Usually involves bee-keepers who are keen to pass on their knowledge. Alternatively, why don't you join one of the local beekeeping associations/apiaries? That way you can get hands-on experience and have a source of expertise.

As you're near Sevenoaks there should be a local branch nearby.