rufusrooster Posted August 17, 2009 Share Posted August 17, 2009 i have found lice / fleas on poppy, the are a grey colour and about 2mm long moving about near the base of her neck feathers, she seams perfectly ok and is still laying, Sandy seems clear but ive only checked around her neck area, i have some Barrier louse powder on order, but have i wasted my money / would i be better just using Diatom ? http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/Barrier_Louse_Powder.html i'm going to dust them with Diatom later but how do i actually do it ? how do you get it where it needs to be, around the base of the feathers ? and do you have to cover the full body ? thanks in advance . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted August 17, 2009 Share Posted August 17, 2009 Can answer that The packet has a guide on the quantity to use. Just ruffle the feathers the wrong way and add powder. Some people use a little puffer made from an empty plastic bottle but I found it clogged up. The hot spots to powder are under the wing, between legs and body and around the vent. It's best to lie your chicken on her back on your lap to do it. If you have seen them round the neck I would use some there as well:D I read yesterday that Diatom is best for treating when you have lice/mites and the powder helps prevent them. I've only used powder so far and not seen anything, so could just be lucky Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Hen Watch Posted August 17, 2009 Share Posted August 17, 2009 I've used both Diatom and Barrier Louse Powder in the past. Not sure which one is best though. I've never really been sucesfull in dousing them in powder. They end up running away or I end up breathing it all in. Probably best as a 2-person job. My lot have a dust bath permanently in their run and I do always chuck loads of Barrier Louse Powder or Diatom in every time I refill with dry earth and it helps keep the beasties at bay. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
rufusrooster Posted August 17, 2009 Author Share Posted August 17, 2009 we dusted them earlier, and ive got to say a lot more ended up on me than the hens Poppy who i found the little beasties on does seem to dust bathe less than the other 2, Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Gamebird Posted August 17, 2009 Share Posted August 17, 2009 I use Xeno 200 (*not licenced for use on poultry in the UK*) for lice prevention. It's a lot less messy than trying to dust the girls. My chickens get 7 sprays on the back of their necks every 3 months and so far I haven't had any creepy crawlies. There is a recommended egg withdrawal period of 7 days but I've always eaten their eggs during this period without any side-effects. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted August 17, 2009 Share Posted August 17, 2009 I would be careful, what if they knocked out some of your blood cells or caused you cancer long term. even if no side effects short term. Sorry but if you are advised to withdraw eggs then I would do so. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...