RubyMurray

OMG Tooth growing out of nose!!!!

Hiya

Yes, thats right, a tooth growing out of poor Marbles (guinea) nose. :(

We adopted Marble from our local RSPCA shelter on the 28th Feb 2009, and has been a troubled girl since. The day after we collected her from the RSPCA I noticed a huge lump under her chin on her neck, as it was within a week of adopting her we had to take her to the RSPCA's vet which was blooming miles away from us, but never mind, off she went, was lanced and treated with antibiotics. Took a while to heal but all went well.

To my horror, yesterday my daughter came running in saying Marble smelled horrible, I looked at her and she did smell, then I noticed something on her nose, I thought it was a piece of hay stuck on so I went to take it off and then I thought it was a bit stuck up her nostril and then I realised it was her tooth. ERRR!

I took her to my vet this morning and was prepared for the worse, I thought it would be an operation job at least but he looked at her and said it's the third he's seen but his first in a guinea pig. The good news is she's now sorted (as such) she only has one visible top tooth, the other is growing somewhere where he can't even see, he thinks inside her head???? He wanted to just pull the trouble tooth out but he can't, he can't see where it's root would even be. He had to put a cutter thing up her nostril as far as he could and cut it off the best he could. He said she will probably have to come back to have her tooth cut every month or two as they grow 3mm per day and as the root is still there it will keep growing.

He thinks she may have had an accident at some point which has damaged the tooth at it's base but as I have adpoted her I have no knowlegde of it, I don't even know how old she is, her paperwork says 99 years and 5 months :?

She's munching away on some carrot at the mo as if nothing happened :dance: with a bloody nose as evidence.

Dyan x

I'll post a

An update on her condition.....

She's outside eating some grass at the moment in the sun with her friends :D she has finished her course of antibiotics now, there's no sign of any regrowth in her nostril yet. So far so good.

Mable:

MableZack081009001.jpg

She has a new friend called Zack too (guinea) .... he came to live with us at the weekend, he belonged to my sons friend Ashley, Zack lived with his brother Cody who died 2 months ago, Ashleys mum felt sorry for him on his own so asked if he could move here to live next to my girls (don't worry, there's a wire devide so no hanky panky for my old ladies :wink::!: ) He's a real sweety, sooo friendly, he's handsome too

Zack:

MableZack081009002.jpg

Guess what I've found this morning?.........She's died in the night :(

She was at the vets again last wednesday, she was booked in for an operation to have the tooth taken away. The vets have cut it back twice (via her nostil which wasn't pleasant) and they said they would give her a general anasthetic and an x-ray to find where it was growing from as they couldn't see any sign of it in her mouth :? but when my husband went to collect her in the afternoon they hadn't done it, apparently 3 different vets had had a look at her and all decided to leave it well alone, I think they were worried it may be actually growing from inside her skull and didn't want to 'make a mess' so they said to just keep bringing her in every month for it to be clipped off.

I went in to feed n water etc and she was there just lying on her side. One of the other girls was sitting with her.

Poor girl, just hope it was quick, my hubby said you never know it may have started to grow back after the last clip and its grown upwards instead of out of her nose.

Well at least she's not in any pain or discomfort now.

Dyan x R.I.P Marble (guinea)

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I've had guinea pigs for over 12 years and never had one with teeth problems before, this girl came from the RSPCA so you never know the last owner might have given her up due to her teeth costing them £££££'s and didn't tell the RSPCA?

Thanks, Dyan x