Kirstie

Yes another person with a sick chook - advice needed

Hi,

I got 3 Bluebell chickens back in July and they all settled in well.

Betty started to lay first but her eggs have always been small, whereas Gloria and Winnies are a good size. I noticed Betty now seems a lot smaller then the other two - she was one of the bigger ones to start with, and the first sign of anything wrong was when I noticed her stomach was bare and her fluffy legs had a bald ring around the top of them.

Initially i thought one of the others was pecking her feathers out so sprayed her with anti peck spray - which mad her look awful! A few days later she stopped laying, keeps standing on one leg (not the same one), is spending most of her time on the nest box, when out and about free ranging - will be on her own or sat down by herself. I also notice shes struggling to jump up onto the link a board edge (but manages to get into house - havent seen her but I put her on the run and next thing shes in the house) - she aslo has slightly shakey legs.

Anyway I saw her nibbling her back and stomach so thought it was mites - Ive taken her to the vet as wanted to be sure and certainly dont want her suffering when there may be a simple answer. The vet was a bit rubbish (think he sees more cats then chickens) and said its probably mites, and he could give me something for rabbits to treat it. I then had a discusion with him about the mite powder for chickens you can get in scatts and whether that would be better as its for chickens rather then rabbits - so he agreed it would be best to use the barrier red mite powder as it would treat all mites.

Well Ive dusted all of them and she may have slightly perked up and I really mean slightly. Shes still in the nesting box alot but equally i have found her down in the run a few times - and she seems more interested in food.

This is why I am esp worried - this evening I thought i should dust her again as shes still nibbling herself - and I saw on her chest around the tops of her legs a thick crusty scab - a slight browny beige colour- which may be why she keeps lifting her legs up and then under her wing there was a cut - which just freaked me out and I stopped dusting her and put her back in the nesting box! Im going to take her back to the vets on Monday but was wondering if anyone had any ideas what is wrong and how I can help her - I need to be informed so I can ask the vet questions and make me feel better that he actually knows what he is doing!

Anyway sorry for rambling im just worried

:(

I am so sorry to read one of your girls seems under the weather. I am not sure what it could be, not nearly experienced enough, someone like Claret, or Egluntyne would probably have more options maybe :think: It seems odd that only one of them has mites though. Have you checked over the coop for signs?

In the meantime, are you giving them anything such as Apple Cider Vinegar, or lifeguard tonic? This may help supplement them if they are under the weather. I hope the Vet has done some research when you go back on Monday and has better options for you.

I wouldn't worry too much about the vet wanting to use a rabbit product as it is probably xeno 450 and whilst it isn't licensed for chickens (a lot of stuff isn't) it is widely used and is quite safe (observe any egg withdrawal). Could she have scaly leg mite?"

* Cause irritation and the bird pulls feathers.

* Mange lesions on legs and unfeathered parts.

* Unthriftiness.

* Raised thickened scales.

If you think this is a possibility she will need treatment for it. While she is sore on that leg she will need to rest it so make it as easy as you can for her to get in and out and to get to food.

Thanks. I have been giving poulty spice in their food since I notice the lack of feathers, would I also need to use the cider vinegar as well?

Rachel why do you recommend Flubenvet not Verm-x? When I got the ladies I wormed them with Flubenvet but last week I wormed them again just in case but with the Verm-x that goes in the water as thought it would be easier but actually it makes no difference once you've measured it all out.

I have no signs of mites in the house or on the other ladies but was wondering if it was not red mite but another that just goes on the hen and not the house. I am concerned as I dont want the others to get it and also when looking up other mites on here it talks about different ones like the scaley skin mite and feather mite which are difficult to treat and infested birds probably need culling!

Will start on bathing with salt water and will have fingers crossed!

Kirstie

Verm-x causes a lot of confusion, it is only actually licensed as a 'herbal supplement'. Flubenvet is a registered veterinary medicine and is a proven safe and effective wormer. There are issues regarding Verm-x as people use it and think that as they don't see worms in poo that it is working. You actually generally only see worms in poo if you have a big burden. What normally appears in poo when they have worms are microscopic worm eggs. So many using Verm-x go on to find that one day they are confronted with a sick chicken and poo squirming in worms :vom: . It is fine to use as a supplement but don't rely on it as a wormer.

I am not experienced in the symptoms and treatment of scaly leg but would be concerned that this could be a possibility with what you are describing with your chicken. Maybe someone else will give your more advise. There is another posting from someone with a scaly leg query.

I would treat her with Xeno 200 for the mite problem. ** Not licensed for use on poultry in UK. It is available online, and will help with Scaly Leg Mite and mites/lice on the body. An egg withdrawal period applies, strictly speaking.

You could also try benzyl benzoate from the chemist for the Scaly Leg Mite.

Re worms - I would do as Chucky Mama suggests re worms and use Flubenvet. I have found Verm-X to useless I'm afraid. A costly mistake.

Ahhh yes i did wonder whether it worked as well as it was a herbal supplement. good job I have flubenvet - will just worm them with this from now on - to be honest they didnt like the water with it in anyway (fussy ladies).

Bettys legs arent scaly, her body at the top of her lags has thick scabs on which are very solid. So dont think I need to do the scaly leg treatment.

Good news is she is so much more perkier today - coming out of house by herself and eating food and happily walking around - I hope this keeps up and its not a quick high before a low.

Anyway will take her to vets to check tomorrow and will make sure they know what they are doing this time!!

Thanks for all your help and info will let you know how i get on!

Well Ive been to the Vets and this time I saw not one but two vets! who were very matter of fact and seemed more informed then the last vet.

They both told me they think mite powders are rubbish and dont really work so they frontlined Betty and to help with where she has pretty much torn her skin with irritation they gave her an injection - which they didnt tell me what it was but Im assuming its an antibiotic of some sort!

They told me it was a 7 day egg withdrawal but they have to advise 28 days but they thought 7 would be ok (seeing as I have young children I will do the month - just to be sure)

Im taking all my ladies in on Thursday - I think for them all to be frontlined and for Betty to be checked.

Feel a little happier - a guess next few days/week will tell!

I didnt see the ladies that much yesterday but what I did notice was that Betty wasnt nibbling herself like she had been - so fingers crossed its working.

She is def perkier - coming out of the house without me encouraging her. still early days but i am positive :)

Im going to sound really silly now but what spot on's?

Im not annoyed about having to get the others front lined - even though they are not showing signs of mites - as I dont want them getting to the point Betty has. All though it is a pain having to do the egg withdrawal but hey ho thats life I guess.

Good news - The last week or so Betty has been roosting in the nesting box by herself but tonight I shut them up and peeked in and she was cuddled up with the others in the main room! She must be feeling better!

so?? spray IS effective for depluming mite?

though clearly she is feeling happier, it cannot have been, just "like to know" for future needs! :D

Not sure about depluming mites specifically but it kills most crawlies. It wont have been tested against them as it isn't licensed for chickens but it probably is effective.