coco Posted October 27, 2009 Share Posted October 27, 2009 Well I've just had a taste of how nasty chickens can be. My 3 were free ranging and I was cleaning the ex batts out when one of them jumped out and chased my 3 round the garden. Poor Pipa got a sharp peck on the back and squeaked very loudly. I caught the offending chook and put her back in her run. I went out later on to find Pipa beak to wire squaking loudly at the ex batts, shes a lot braver with a wire fence inbetween. Are ex batts usaully agressive towards existing chooks although I know its very early days. I did let both ex batts out after my girls had gone to bed and they had a lovely half hour scratching round before they put themselves to bed. It was lovely to see them stretching their wings and being able to preen themselves. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted October 27, 2009 Share Posted October 27, 2009 I think any chickens can be aggressive, not just ex-batts . I'd take the introductions really slowly if I were you and keep an eye open for any more bullying . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
dippy bird Posted October 27, 2009 Share Posted October 27, 2009 Mine are the same. I have one called Rita who seems to want to be the top hen and is having a go at any of my originals that get in her way.You wouldn't believe how many times I have squirted her with water this afternoon! Even Betty who is(was) top of the pecking order is backing down now. Am guessing it's because they have been stuck in the cages for such a long time and have absolutely no idea how to behave with other girls.Be patient-let them get to know each other through the bars of the runs and maybe after a few weeks,start to let them free range together supervised of course,as I have found that the minute you turn your back,they are beating each other up!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Barkisland Posted October 27, 2009 Share Posted October 27, 2009 Ex batts are definitely used to sticking up for themselves, they have to fight for everything when they are in the cages I kept mine separated (with a cargo net) for about 6 weeks before very cautious supervised introductions. The 2 ex batts are now numbers 3 & 4 in the pecking order of 6. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...