Lozmk1

stress related food aversion?

Hi all, Poor Dave was subjected to a visit from a friends dog last night, the friends have a bun and we were assured that the dog wouldnt even look twice at Dave because of this,

How wrong were we? i put her in her cage as i saw them arrive but as soon as the dog saw the cage she was growling and had her nose in the cage etc and barking like mad, poor dave was doing the wall of death round the top so i grabbed her and took her out of the room to calm her down, she was buried in my armpit/shoulder and shaking madly, calmed her down and put her in her travel cage in the hall as its nice and quiet in there with her towel and some food,

she ate a little of the food and as soon as the dog had gone we hoovered up and tidied Daves cage up so hopefully she wouldnt remember it too much, put her back in it and she seemed quite happy, i let her out later on and she was crawling allover me and gave me a wash as if to say thankyou, BUT she hasnt eaten any food at all overnight, sometimes she eats half of it, sometimes all of it but shes never not touched it. do you think shes just a bit stressed from the whole thing? even tho she seems to be like her normal self in every other way. I asked my other half to keep an eye on her today and to let her play out all day but im really worried that it's affected her worse than we thought. :(

yes shes eating again now!! little "Ooops, word censored!", i got home last night and she came to see me on the sofa, stuck her head in my trouser pocket and proceeded to chomp on the lining and the satin edge of the pocket! i wouldnt mind but they are my brand new betty jackson ones!! GRR so she got a telling off and then hopped back into her cage and started to eat her spinach and carrots!! so shes evidently fine now. just a bit of shock from meeting the black lab!

I'm sure all dogs are different and some might ignore bunnies, but personally I'd say never take a chance... ever our puppy is quite excited by the bunnies, whereas the chickens seem to not excite him so much, he likes to circle their run and 'chat' to them, and they come to see him and as they don't panic or react much, he stays calm. With the bunnies it's different, they tend to panic and go in a wild run if he gets anywhere near, and that sends him into a 'wow, play time' excitement... we've blocked the part of the garden they're in, so he can still see them but not get close to them, as we don't want them stressed out. I hope your friends remember that their dog might not act calmly around bunnies after all...

I hope Dave is chilled now...