patsylabrador

ever feel manipulated?

The chooks were being quite tetchy and noisy during windy weather and in an effort to keep them quieter in early morning I gave them some corn with their breakfast. Now they fuss if I don't. I think it's now a case of 'We'll be quiet if.....'. The same happened when I was puppy walking a little guide dog - I thought I was giving her treats for being good but it turns out she was only being good to get treats. A subtle difference but it meant I wasn't in control. Thank goodness I was more aware with my kids!

Persephone lost about 5 tail feathers yesterday, surely they don't moult now. I'd have thought they need all their feathers going into winter.

Jude

Oh yes, the chickens have got us well trained very quickly!

They were going to be hardy outdoor animals - they now have a snuggly warm dry permanent run base for winter. They were going to get basic layers' pellets and water - they now get a nice mixed porridge for breakfast and lots of chicky treats in the afternoon.

I get the feeling that I'm learning and they are teaching me. But I have insisted they all get used to being handled and picked up, and to eating out of my hand, so I have a fighting chance of getting them back into the run at the end of the day. So they all get picked up and cuddled, although some like it more than others.

They aren't just teaching me - they are training the cats as well, and regular visitors to our house usually come armed with little treats for the chickens!