Yorkshire Pudding

Observatories - anyone been to Edinburgh Royal Observatory?

Help!

OH has been into amateur astronomy since he was knee high, and is getting our DSs interested too.

As a Christmas surprise I would love to take him to an observatory with a 'real' telescope to have a look through it. Edinburgh Royal Observatory do this throughout the winter and I could book it and combine it with a trip there during half term.

Has anyone visited - could you tell me what you thought? Or has anyone been to another observatory in the UK that they could recommend?

Also, if we go for Edinburgh, what other attractions could we go and see - I have been looking at the Camera Obscura as a possibility with a kind-of-link to the astronomy theme.

Thanks as always, wise Omleteers!

Haven't been to the Observatory, but have been to the Camera Obscura, which was absolutely fantastic if you are in to photography :D

Also, if you have a car whilst in Edinburgh, outside about a half hour drive away (I think from memory) is the Secret Bunker, its an old wartime bunker that is now a museum, but it was a fabulous place to visit, if you like wartime history :D

I read stunning things about the Camera Obscura and had intended to go there with kids, but we ran out of time! I would recommend Mary King's Close - it's a tour through underground Edinburgh. It's quite touristy but none the worse for it, as it also fascinating! It can get expensive, but we paid on Tesco Clubcard points.

Enjoy!

Thanks all. :D (and :lol: at ANH!)

OH is into photography as well as astronomy, so I think the Camera Obscura would be perfect, and there are umpteen Premier Inns around the city to stay in (best IMHO when with the kids).

I have phoned the observatory and the recorded message says they do private tours as well as public observing nights... so I am going to see what we can put together for him!

I'm eagerly awaiting the call back and hoping they don't phone when he's in :roll: