Dolly

Automatic feeders?

Has anyone tried using one of those automatic cat/dog feeder bowls for their chooks before?

I was thinking of getting one for the girls' treats, as they're in bed by the time I get home and I don't really want to give them corn first thing. This way, they could still get their treats in the afternoon. :)

Any thoughts?

I thought of one when I had a sick dog that needed food every 4 hours or so. However, she was a pig so I didn't go with it at it didn't look substantial enough to withstand an assault from her.

I imagine that the kind of debris that chickens seem able to kick up would cause it to jam or get stuck anyway. Might be worth a try though and then you can report back to us! :)

I know this is quite an old post - but this is exactly what I was just wondering. With shorter days round the corner, it'll soon be chicken bedtime before we get home from work.

I was thinking of getting one of the automatic timer cat feeder things - putting a handful of corn or similar treat into it, attaching it upside down to the roof of the WIR - and then hey presto! It'll open up at the alloted time, the corn will fall onto the floor from a height and scatter (a bit), so giving the chickens something tasty to scratch and dig for.

Not really confident that it'll work, but I think I'll give it a go nonetheless. Watch this space! :D