CannyCat

Chilly Chickens

I put a blanket over the eglu last year, but the dogs ate it,

:lol::lol::lol: this comment really made me laugh! :lol::lol:

... and a wine rack. A proper dog's bed. Two wooden spoons. A wooden spatula. Three vegetable baskets. Three 'everlasting' shopping bags and a wine bag. Half a pound of butter, complete with foil wrapper. One 14" pizza. The top of Sunday's quiche. Several beetroot. Three carrots. Four red peppers. One yellow pepper. A cucumber. 8 magnitic numbers and letters from the fridge door, three skirting boards, four plastered and painted corners in the kitchen, a cupboard door ...

Plus a host of other things that I didn't notice. It took me three weeks to realise the terrier could open the unlatched dishwasher door, and then they steal implements to take down the garden.

I put a blanket over the eglu last year, but the dogs ate it,

:lol::lol::lol: this comment really made me laugh! :lol::lol:

... and a wine rack. A proper dog's bed. Two wooden spoons. A wooden spatula. Three vegetable baskets. Three 'everlasting' shopping bags and a wine bag. Half a pound of butter, complete with foil wrapper. One 14" pizza. The top of Sunday's quiche. Several beetroot. Three carrots. Four red peppers. One yellow pepper. A cucumber. 8 magnitic numbers and letters from the fridge door, three skirting boards, four plastered and painted corners in the kitchen, a cupboard door ...

Plus a host of other things that I didn't notice. It took me three weeks to realise the terrier could open the unlatched dishwasher door, and then they steal implements to take down the garden.

Dont worry I'm not laughing. It sounds hellish. With my dog its the kids toys mainly, you can imagine the upset. We got a called from 'its me or the dog' last week so keep your fingers crossed for us.

As for Eglu space mine looks huge even when they're in it. I think I agree with whoever it is that says its about the run space. Afterall if they were uncomfortable all these people with a few wouldnt find all their birds sharing one out of choice.

Update:

Matilda was fine - she's a bit bigger and hardier, despite the bare botty. But Bertha, who is smaller, spent several days huddling in the eglu alone. We could almost see the weight dropping off her, despite the hot water bottle and improving weather - she had even gone off grapes :shock:

So one night we waited til it was getting dark, and we scooped them into a box and brought them indoors for the night. It really did a lot of good, and she perked right up the next day - it was worth having my sister on the phone raving about bird flu for :roll: She just doesn't understand that they're My Babies 8)

We'd (well, I, but my OH isn't complaining...) like to get a third chicken, so maybe we wont have this problem next year.

Does anyone elses chooks sit ontop of each other in the nesting box at night?!?! :shock:

Happymama - im surprised you have a house left! :shock::lol::lol::lol: (Or should i be more surprised that the dogs are still with you!) :shock:

On the note of keeping chickens warm, i use a Snugglesafe. Its a round disk affair about the size of a small dinner plate and approx 2cm deep. I heat it in the microwave for 5 mins and it stays warm for up to 10 hours.

I pop this in the poop tray under the roosting bars at night and put 2 blankets over the top of the eglu. If it is very cold in the morning i heat it up again so they have a warm place to go in the day too. :D:D