Lara

Can you buy just an eglu without the run etc?

Our chickens sleep in their eglu but we don't use the run as we converted some outbuildings and part of the garden into their own super-duper large run!! We have 3 chickens but they are such fun that we wanted to add a couple more. Can I have some advice please on how you go about this? Obviously a few more chickens and life in the eglu at night would get a bit cramped. Our initial idea is to add another eglu into the run but does this cause confusion as they decide who sleeps in which eglu at night? What do people do who have more than 3/4 chickens? I don't want to go about buying a wooden chicken house as the eglu is so practical. All advice appreciated please! :roll:

Hi again Lara....there is a sticky here which discusses all aspects of introducing new hens. I think the main points are accept that there will be a few skirmishes, make sure there are several food and drink "stations", put them together at night....and they'll establish a new pecking order in their own time.

I have also bought an eglu without a run. The girls decide where they want to sleep and although we have 3 eglu's they often choose to sleep in the same eglu - 9 chickens in one eglu is a bit of a tight squeeze but after lots of to-ing and fro-ing on my part to get a reasonable number of chickens in each eglu I gave up and let them get on with it. My eglu's are in a purpose built run/house so I don't need to close the eglu doors at night.