chickenanne

Beginers from local assoc visiting hive

Frighteningly, our local association has suffered such high losses that they have been struggling slightly for hives for this years' beginners course attendees to visit. The usual summer programe of apiary visits has also gone awry for the same reason. So I have a group of 6 visiting mine, together with the assoc president, on the weekend. I'm just hoping that they don't ask difficult questions, point out that I'm "doing it wrong" or get put off by anything (e.g. my OH's experimental cheescake :lol: )!

I have a grand total of one hive (at the moment - plan for the summer was to increase to two plus, revised plan for the summer is to increase to as many as realistic and pass any "extra's" I manage to get to association apiary and suddenly-bee-less committee members). Despite this I seem to be one of the few options for this years beginners to visit - of course people do have colonies which are fine, but it's easier to have a mix of locations so people aren't driving for hours to visit an apiary.

Anyhow, I've had so much help from my local association in the last year, in common with a lot of new beeks. Possibly it's worth checking with yours if they need apiaries for beginners to visit (probably best with someone more experienced e.g. your mentor), even if you have only one hive and a less-than-ideal location to visit (like me - no real parking and a teeny tiny house for post-visit-cake!).

That's worrying - I know my own local division did a straw poll and came up with 30% losses. A hive is a hive, though - I'm sure they'll get as much from looking at yours as any other! How flattering to be asked. Our group has got apiary visits set up from May to September, we are lucky enough to have an association out-apiary with six or seven hives on, and we also have a commercial bee-keeper connected to the group who lets us go and visit one of his sites. Last year I found the apiary visits very useful experience.

Yes, it is worrying - I'm not sure of % losses over the winter no doubt I'll find out more at the weekend.

We did have an association apiary - but sadly they were lost over the winter, too. We have association empty hives instead. It seems as if a lot of the experienced beeks in the association have suffered really awful winter losses as well as newer beeks.

It seems a shame for the beginners course to see only one hive when they visit me, rather than visit an apiary with a few - the comparison is pretty helpfull I think. But better than nothing I guess!

Chickenanne

For a start, you can't be doing much wrong if you have sucessfully overwintered your bees :wink:

As you know, ask the same question to 5 different beeks and you will get 10 different answers. Beekeeping has many options, unfortunately some beeks only know "their" way. You have a season's experience over the beginners who are visiting and as for the president, well I would hope he is so grateful for the opportunity you are offering that he may wisely offer you advice only if you ask for it.

I've got some beginners on my locals course visiting mine soon, two of the things I will be saying to them is:-

"Other views are available"

and "Don't quote me" :lol:

Good luck with it, and well done :dance:

The cheesecake sounds fab, and upturned boxes in the garden are generally welcome and better for sitting around on than trying to crowd into a house.

Macfoy

I know it must seem scary, but you should see it as a compliment to your beekeeping practice that you have a thriving colony and the president wants to use your hive as a teaching colony.

As a new beek myself this time last year, I still feel I know very little in the scheme of things. But my colony is thriving too so I'm thankful for that and hope to increase to two colonies this year (as well as up to three at our new allotment apiary).

Good luck with it all at the weekend. :D

Well, the weather wasn't ideal, but despite that the bees were pretty gentle... and only the tutor-person got stung.

The folk seeing the hive seemed to really enjoy it and as well as the 2 "normal" stuff there were some very newly hatched bees and a couple working their way out from under cappings to see.

Was slightly miffed with the tutor type fella, who was very disparanging that I "allowed" them to have their off-centre brood nest (it's always been over to one side, it's never bothered me, I don't see any need to re-arrange frames to move it into the middle every time I go into the hive). Apparantly the off-centre brood area means that I "allow the bees to control me" rather than me controlling them. He wasn't able to explain why brood off to one side was an issue, so I reckon I'll continue to "allow" them to raise brood where they think is best rather than where esteemed beekeeper would prefer. On the upside though, I didn't think I had things as advanced as actual OPINIONS about bees... clearly I do! Hurrah!

Glad it went well. If your bees are healthy and doing all the right things, why force them to move - it's interesting that he couldn't explain why you should do so! You've obviously done something right to get them through the winter.

I'm going to miss most of our apiary visits this summer because they're on Saturdays and I've already got other things booked on those days, I will try to get to a couple though because they are really interesting. Bet you're glad it's over, now you can look forward to going to someone else's apiary next time!

Your bees are likely swimply brooding on the warmer side of your hive. Can't see how you are going to persuade bees to move over in the brood nest unless you change the conditions. They don't read the books and they don't just do as you tell them! Turning frames around may be counter-productive for spring build-up.

What may have happened is that winter stores have not been used up - again on the colder side. You could have 'bruised' the cappings to encourage them to move, or use, those stores at your earlier visits this season. You may want to consider why it has occured, and if it is for the reason I have guessed you may need to ponder if that location and direction is your optimum (best compromise) or if some extra protection (from the worst of the weather) might be appropriate.

Regards, RAB