xScrunchee Posted May 2, 2010 Share Posted May 2, 2010 I have a small patio peach tree which is planted in a large tub. It is supposed to be peach leaf curl resistant but alas-it has the awful disease! What should I do now? I know that I will have to spray it at the end of the season and also in January and Febuary next year but what do I do now? I have only had it for a year and we haven't even had a peach yet-will this mean that we get no fruit this year? Thank you Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sjp Posted May 3, 2010 Share Posted May 3, 2010 peach leaf curl can only be controled not cured by domestic gardeners it's caused by a fungus and triggered by rain the no spray method is to bring the tree in under cover in febuary them place back out side in May this method does work but it takes room up in the cold greenhouse the spray method was to use a cooper sulphate base fungiside but I'm not sure it's still avilable to buy If you're going to get fruit they should be on already peaches flower in late march early april and tend to need hand pollinating I used to have 3 peach and one necturine down to 1 now the last 3 wet years did for 2 of them vine wevil did for the other Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
xScrunchee Posted May 4, 2010 Author Share Posted May 4, 2010 Aah, sorry to hear that you lost your other trees As for the vine weevils-bit late now but you can buy nematodes which you water into the soil and they kill the vine weevils. Better than using sprays and poisons. My Mum has recently bought some as she has a vine weevil problem in her garden. Anyway, I have removed every diseased leaf from the tree in the hope of stopping the fungus spreading too much and I guess I will just have to wait till autumn and spray it. Poor thing-I just hope it'll be ok Thank you for your help Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sjp Posted May 4, 2010 Share Posted May 4, 2010 Aah, sorry to hear that you lost your other trees As for the vine weevils-bit late now but you can buy nematodes which you water into the soil and they kill the vine weevils. Better than using sprays and poisons. My Mum has recently bought some as she has a vine weevil problem in her garden. I only found the wevils because the one tree needed repotting there'd been no sign of wevils otherwise they provided a bit of extra protien for the girls Anyway, I have removed every diseased leaf from the tree in the hope of stopping the fungus spreading too much and I guess I will just have to wait till autumn and spray it. Poor thing-I just hope it'll be ok then again just before they flower normally about Febuary weather permitting Thank you for your help Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted May 4, 2010 Share Posted May 4, 2010 we lost a peach tree to this a couple of years back and decided that we would not bother again. We are sticking to plums cherries and apples. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...