Sky Posted May 3, 2010 Share Posted May 3, 2010 Help!!! all of my four girls are suffering with bare bums and bald backs at the top of their tails in varying degrees. I have tried the sprays and although the situation does not appear to be getting worse nether does it seem to be getting better. I think that all the girls are plucking each other particularly when they all dust bathe. They don't appear to be bullying each other and all seem to still be good friends. I am thinking that I might have to resort to anti pecking rings but haven't a clue how to fit them!! I was wondering whether there is anyone in the Chelmsford area who could perhaps help me by showing me what to do or whether there is a thread on here explaining the procedure. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
patsylabrador Posted May 3, 2010 Share Posted May 3, 2010 One of my chickens was pulling her feathers out so we rubbed Vaseline lip balm into the bald areas. I think it was too sticky and tasted horrid for her and the feather pulling stopped almost straight away. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
dippy bird Posted May 6, 2010 Share Posted May 6, 2010 we had to resort to putting bumper bits on all of our chickens as they were all pulling each others feathers out and they all looked terrible! After a couple of weeks we can already see a huge improvement in their feathers.I know loads of people are against the bumper bits,but we tried the anti-peck spray,segragation and allsorts of other things but nothing worked. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickyhazel Posted May 6, 2010 Share Posted May 6, 2010 I would try the vaseline, then try a bumper bit. This is actually a rather common problem! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
daj198 Posted May 6, 2010 Share Posted May 6, 2010 Ukadex didn't work?! It made the clothes that I was wearing when I sprayed it stink for weeks! Bumper bits seem to be the only other option... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sky Posted May 7, 2010 Author Share Posted May 7, 2010 Hi, thanks for your answers, I am really not sure about fitting bumper bits and it will be as an absolute last resort. At the moment we are using the anti pecking spray, I have increased their run size and am letting them out more than ever which seems to be keeping them occupied. I have an enormous WIR being constructed at the moment by a very enthusistic hubby and hopefully all these things will help. How on earth do chickens eat or enjoy life at all with bumper bits fitted???? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickyhazel Posted May 7, 2010 Share Posted May 7, 2010 You could try a different brand of anti-peck spray - it will be a different experience and might put peckers off more. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...