Cinnamon Posted May 11, 2010 Share Posted May 11, 2010 I have treated myself to an orange & a lemon tree,both about 3 foot tall. They have just arrived & the orange is in blossom,& smells wonderful! I am going to pop them in the greenhouse for the moment,then hopefully pot them on this weekend & move them out onto the patio for the summer. The came with little fleece bags to pop over them for the winter,even if they are in the greenhouse then,for extra protection,although the blurb claims that they can stay outside up to -5 Dos anyone else have citrus trees? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted May 11, 2010 Share Posted May 11, 2010 I have always fancied the idea, but without a big enough greenhouse or conservatory, I don't think it is worth it. You should do well with your new greenhouse. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
scarlettohara Posted May 11, 2010 Share Posted May 11, 2010 We had a lemon tree in our conservatory - it has to be really warm in the winter though for it to survive. Despite heating ours didn't survive but good luck Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted May 12, 2010 Share Posted May 12, 2010 I have citrus that live in the conservatory apart from a spell out on the patio in high summer. I have a lemon tree that I bought from Aldi last year for £10.99 (they seem to have them every year so worth looking out for as they are wonderful value) It is now about 2feet tall and swathed in both blossom and lemons. I also have a calamondin that is only a foot tall but very very bushy. It dropped most of its flower buds in the winter as I suspect the conservatory just got too cold. As you can see it has recovered and I will have to remember to pop it into the house next time we have temperatures of minus 10 Strangely this tree produced a lemon right at the bottom and it took me ages to figure that it must have been grafted onto a lemon rootstock The scent is heavenly, filling the whole conservatory and kitchen and the bumblebees enjoy the blossom when I open the conservatory door on a sunny day. Remember to pot them on into citrus compost and to feed with citrus feed. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted May 13, 2010 Author Share Posted May 13, 2010 Thanks,that looks wonderful I missed the Aldi ones - they sold out in 3 days ,but these ones I got were great value too. They seem happy enough in the greenhouse for the moment. I am still campaigning for a conservatory....typically the conservatory company owners wife is last on the list Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...