Helen

fox attack

We are having problems with foxes around the rabbits at night. Two nights ago I was woken by the bunnies thumping in alarm about 3.30 am. Went downstairs and let the dogs out who saw off a fox near the hutch and I went back to bed. Sadly when I went to feed the bunnies I realised Molly was not putting any weight on her front leg. She must have paniced during the fox visit and hurt herself the other two were fine.

She was at the vets within 30 mins, ours are brilliant and see you so quickly, much better than our GP!!!!!!

She had a painkiller injection and rest for 24 hours as the vet was not sure what she had done but it wasn't looking too good.

I took her back this morning at 8 am and she has had an x ray, sadly she has broken her elbow joint which is not good news at all. The vet cannot operate as it is too complex so while she was still under the aesthetic I had to make THE decision, do we let her go to bunny heaven or give her a chance to mend herself on pain killers?

No brainer for me so will be collecting her later and giving her complete rest in her own hutch apart from the other two and all on one level. We have set the hutches up so that they can see and smell each other though. Any suggestions on how to give a rabbit oral medicine, never had to do it before!!

Sorry to ramble on but rather stressful 2 days and daughter due to take final A levels in a week or so!!

Helen

Hi all,

Many thanks for your good wishes. Molly appears to be doing very well. She is taking her pain relief well each morning from a syringe, much easier than I had expected! She is eating and drinking well and is staying very calm and still in her cage. they are grill to grill so hopefully she can chat to the other two!

We are back to the vets on Thursday so fingers crossed they feel she is well enough to carry on, she seems very relaxed and not in pain, although I know animals can hide their pain really well.

We will have to wait and see.

Helen