eggmayo

Wasp Advice Please

Hi,

I did an inspection yesterday of my bees (got a nuc 3 weeks ago). They are building up nicely on 7 frames now, with lots of egg, larvae, pollen and stores. I found a couple of Varroa on the inspection tray, so decided to dust with icing sugar to help keep numbers low. I did it late in the day in an attempt not to attract wasps.

This morning wasps were going in the back of the hive (National) and feeding on the bit of icing sugar that had fallen onto the inspection tray. I'm so annoyed with myself that I've caused this problem. It's certainly taught me a lesson.

I'd already got the entrance block in, but have now also put the mouse guard on and reduce it to 4 spaces. I've also removed the inspection tray and put a jam jar with jam, water and washing up liquid at the back of the hive, that's started to catch wasps. I'm hoping that they will go away (or into the trap) when they realise the icing sugar has gone.

There's no signs of wasps trying to get in the front of the hive, although there were a couple of dead wasps by the hive. The bees seem OK, although a bit miffed about having the mouse guard put on. I didn't want to go inside the hive to check more closely, as I was only in there yesterday.

Is there anything else I can do to stop the wasps? I'm so worried about my bees. I'll never forgive myself if I loose them to the wasps, especially as I've caused the problem in the first place. I'm a bad bee mummy. :(

I don't think you have caused any problem so don't fret.

Wasps are attracted by the smell of honey from your hive anyway and at this time of the year can be a problem but a strong colony can usually cope.

I have a small swarm in a nuc box and have reduced the entrance to one bee space and I've put six or seven wasp traps around the apiary. They have caught many jaspers and let's face it one wasp in the jam is one less in the hive.

The two stronger colonies are coping well and I see shredded wasps outside the entrances but all the hives have blocks in with reduced entrances.

Just keep the traps fuelled.

I have wasps buzzing about mine, too, even without feeding /spilt sugar. However, I was told not to put traps right beside hives - the traps will work just as well slightly further away, and if the sugar has been cleared away now, then leavign traps right at the hive will encourage them to be near. I've also heard that wasps don't fly huge distances, so likely the wasp nest is not so far from your apiary. If you can find it and destroy it (or one of them!) then this will reduce numbers. I can't speak for how true this is but could be worth a go!

I have to disagree. I have traps near the entrances and some yards away and the closer traps catch many more wasps. They don't attract them they divert them. The overwhelming attractant (particularly if you don't have an entrance block in)is the smell of either feed or honey from the hive and if you provide an easier target by way of the trap wasps will go for that.

Try to find the nest if you can but bear in mind that wasps will fly 3 to 500 metres and that may be a problem if you have neighbouring gardens.

Hi,

Thanks for all the comments. I'm not quite so worried after reading about your experiences. I thought they'd gone as none this morning. But even with the heavy rain this evening they are still around the hive, looking for a way to get in. The bees are seeing them off if they get near the entrance, but I've reduced the gap further to just 2 bee spaces. There's also a couple of dead wasps infront of the hive, so looks like the guard bees are doing their job.

I was wondering if anyone has tried this- an imitation wasp nest that acts as a deterrant.

http://www.waspinator.co.uk/home.html

It sounds too good to be true, but maybe it could work?