goozleberry Posted July 22, 2010 Share Posted July 22, 2010 Hi all I really hope that this hasn't been discussed before - if it has I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me in the direction of some advice...? I'm the proud owner of three ex-battery hens. However, I have a massive problem between two of the hens: Heston, the smallest of three is constantly picked on by the others, hasn't had much success in growing back her feathers because they keep being pecked out, and is growing increasingly timid, which is such a shame as she was the friendliest of all three to begin with. Nugget is constantly chasing her round the garden, pecking at her and generally being mean - yesterday I saw her climb on top of Heston and start pecking her head. This really worries me as I'm not in most of the day so have taken to letting them free range while I'm out so they all have a bit more space, which I'd really rather not do in case of foxes etc. Anyway, I was just hoping that someone might be able to help me out. I've tried anti-pecking spray, but this didn't seem to make any difference at all. I've read that separating them might help, but I've only got the one run at the moment. I'm really worried that we'll have to give Heston away, as I just feel so awful for her. Any advice gratefully received... http://goozleberry.wordpress.com Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
C&T Posted July 22, 2010 Share Posted July 22, 2010 Poor thing!! Can you divide the run up at all, to seperate them, but keep them in sight of each other? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
goozleberry Posted July 22, 2010 Author Share Posted July 22, 2010 I think I'm going to have to build an extension - do you think I should put Heston or the bully in on their own? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sage Posted July 22, 2010 Share Posted July 22, 2010 I am new to chicken keeping but was given this advise and it worked for me. I had a evil hen Hilda. It took 4 weeks to sort her out but it can be done. You need to seperate her, but she must be able to see the others. I cordend off a the end of the run for mine, she had her own food & water & a cat basket to lay & sleep in. For 1 week no contact with the others. She will be desperate to get out but do not give in. After my girls had been shut in for the night I would let Hilda in he main run for 15 mins and handle her.Then it was in her cat basket for the night ( cover it with an old towel to keep the light out) Week 2 Same as week one but gets 1 hour out with the others in the garden, have water pistol ready. Week 3 Isolation during the day free ranging time with the girls then 30 mins in the run. Stand guard with water pistol. By the end of the week just holding the pistol up is enough. Week 4 (Best to do on a weekend or a day your not working.) Isolation till mid day then in the run. Only had to do theis stage for 1 day and Hilda was fine. She has been in the run with the other for 2 weeks now, she has the odd peck at Mavis and the other girls have a go a Hilda but it's nothing like the evilness the went on before. I was in tears a few times. Getting home from work expecting a dead chicken. Stick with it, to be honest Hilda has turn out to be quite affectionate in her own way. Both Hilda & Mavis have started laying most days since the fighting stopped Sage Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted July 22, 2010 Share Posted July 22, 2010 I would separate the bully, not the bullies. She will then lose her place in the hierarchy and may play nicely when she returns. If she doesn't, you could try fitting her with a bumper bit or anti pecking ring. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
goozleberry Posted July 22, 2010 Author Share Posted July 22, 2010 Thanks Sage and Egluntyne - I really appreciate the advice, I was beginning to think I might have to give Heston away. I'm going to build a separate run this weekend and get cracking with your advice Sage. And if all else fails I think I'll have to purchase a bumper bit or an anti pecking ring. Thanks again! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...