deejmum

Two broodies on one set of eggs -help please

Three weeks ago I put some fertile eggs under a relentless broody. This was fine until about a week ago,when another broody decided to squash in next to her.

Yesterday two chicks hatched under broody one, so we moved her and her chicks and an unhatched egg to a safe area separate from the others, where she successfully hatched chick number three. :D:D

However now the second broody has hatched a chick ( as I couldnt bring myself to take all of the eggs from her). Obviously I now need to separate her from the flock but wondered if I could put her and baby in with broody one and chicks? They seemed very content nesting together whilst broody they seemed to take it in turns to sit on the eggs :?::?:

All advice would be appreciated.

Leave all the broodies and the chicks together if they're happy together. My Brahmas, Bridget & Francesca, are sisters and joined at the hip, they do everything together including going broody. The first time though Francesca squashed some eggs so got turfed off the nest and Bridget raised the chicks alone. A friend persuaded me to give Francesca one more chance to prove herself so her and Bridget have been sat on some Orpington eggs. They are now happily looking after four chicks together :clap: They're not being possessive over who has the chicks, as long as the chicks are happy so are the mums. Both mums have been teaching the chicks how to eat and drink and it is so very sweet to watch. I'd always loved seeing the way a broody cares for her chicks and watching these two making such a huge effort together has been amazing.