pagesguineas

Urgent help needed

So misty got spayed a week and a half ago - and the vet said I could put her back with Sweep (who was castrated about a year ago) once she had her stitches out. Today was the big day and I took her down only to be told that skin had grown over the stitches and the best thing to do was to leave them deteriorate on their own.

Anyway, I got home excited to put them back together (Sweep had been looking dejected all week) and decided to re-introduce them in the Eglu where Sweep had been living. I put her in and mayhem broke out, he kept chasing her around and she was banging into the side trying to get away from him. She ran into the Eglu and 'thump thump thump thump' was all you could hear - Sweep stayed away at this point. She eventually ventured out and Sweep started to hump her which started the chasing all over again. At this point I took her out as she was getting very stressed and I was worried as she only had her op a week and a half ago and wasn't 100% sure if she'd totally recovered yet. I put her in her carrier box and put that inside the run for 10 minutes to get them used to each others smells again in the view that when I opened the door she would at least have a safe place that was hers to go to. However when I opened the door Sweep muscled his way in despite warning thumps and it started all over again. At this point I totally gave up and took her out and put her back in the other hutch. Usually if they have a little falling out I leave them to it and they sort it out amongst themselves but I am worried that Misty is still recovering and it will stress her out too much. Yet I don't want to keep them separated for much longer as I expect it will make the situation worse. They have been bonded for well over a year and a half now and we have never seen them like this even when they were first introduced!

Help!!!!!!!!

It sounds as though it may take some time for them to bond again and that unfortunately the ten minutes wasn't long enough for them to settle. Can you put the separate hutches right next to each other so they can get used to each other again but still safely separated? Or I have managed hard intros with one bunny free ranging in a shed or bedroom, and the other in a lidded run in the shed/bedroom so they can get quite close and used to each other - but not too close! Good luck and take it slowly.

Hi, quick update on the situation.

Yesterday evening we let both of them out onto the grass as a neutral area, they ignored each other for a while then sweep started chasing her around for a bit. As she had more room to get away (and shes faster than him!) we let them carry on and eventually sweep got bored/tired. This happened a few times and he started to give up the chase more and more. We then decided to 'herd' them back into the Eglu, it was very odd as they were not fighting, more completely ignoring each other, sweep would jump in the run and misty would jump in the eglu and vice versa. We supervised them for a while and they both lay down in opposite ends. We kept going down and checking on them and they were always sitting well apart - unusual for them. It now seems we have achieved getting them to live together again, however it seems that to get as close as they once were is going to take some time. At least they are together peacefully now, even though they seem to be completely ignoring each other. I am hoping they will learn to love each other again like they did over time. We have yet to see them grooming each other.

Thanks for all your feedback - it was really helpful. Fingers crossed that they will get over this little domestic they are currently having! :)

Hello

I am very pleased to say the truce has continued! Many thanks for your recommendations of re-introducing them in neutral ground..I originally thought that was a bit too extreme considering they have been living together for over a year but it seems that they needed that time just to get used to each other again.

Once we have the Eglu all set up and in its proper place hopefully I will remember to add some pictures of them snuggling together again :)

Catherine