Minnie&Moose Posted September 7, 2010 Share Posted September 7, 2010 About 3 weeks ago we had one of our hens PTS because of a respiratory infection, possibly mycoplasm according to the vet. We'd only had her 12 weeks and she came, along with her friend Mona, from a reputable breeder. The new chickens were kept separate from the older ones for 2 weeks before we started integrating them and during that time there was no sign of sneezing among any of them. At the time we had the new bird PTS (after 2 courses of Baytril) the rest of the flock looked fine; no sneezing or any other signs of problems. However, over the last couple of days Mona (remaining new bird) has begun sneezing! She looks fine, is eating and laying normally, hasn't lost condition and isn't bullied. I'm possibly being overly cautious but should I arrange to treat all 4 birds with Tylan (my vet will source it for me if necessary) - I'm concerned that perhaps I didn't get treatment early enough for the previous bird so don't want to make that mistake again. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Daphne Posted September 7, 2010 Share Posted September 7, 2010 There's not a clear cut answer to this as some people would not advocate treating birds where there are no symptoms. Personally, given your vet thinks it might have been myco and whatever it was did kill your hen, I would treat Mona at the very least. I probably wouldn't treat the others unless they started to have symptoms as younger bought in stock can be more at risk than older established birds, and its quite possible your original hens will be fine. Keep vigilant however, just in case. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Minnie&Moose Posted September 8, 2010 Author Share Posted September 8, 2010 Thanks Daphne, will sort out some Tylan for Mona. We'd hate to lose her as well. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...