Grovefarm

The accidental Rooster

Hi all,

have not posted on here for a while, I had to get 2 more hens fto keep my miss pepperpot happy as the gingernut died suddenly, all was well and good until I discovered that one of the new hens is a rooster. My amazing discovery came about by walking into the chicken run and the hen cockadoodle doing at me...... blast!

I I bought another 2 hens to because I wanted a bit more of a regular egg supply. I dont mind maybe once I've read up a bit more in it getting one or two eggs hatched as the little monkey has started all that already jumping on their backs, but what does worry me a little is I remember watching river cottage and hugh had a bad egg that was black inside, why does this occur, we always crack open eggs into a bowl or suchlike before we use them. But we have never had a bad one yet!

I've never had a bad one either, but a friend had a 'black egg'. I don't think that it relates to having a cockerel around though (but someone may correct me on that). Most flocks will benefit from having a cockerel around as it keeps them in order and prevents any fighting between hens, but if you think that he's being too 'vigorous' with the girls, then he might need re-housing.

There's a roundabout in Bungay (Suffolk), which has loads of dumped cockerels living on it :roll:

I've never had a bad one either, but a friend had a 'black egg'. I don't think that it relates to having a cockerel around though (but someone may correct me on that). Most flocks will benefit from having a cockerel around as it keeps them in order and prevents any fighting between hens, but if you think that he's being too 'vigorous' with the girls, then he might need re-housing.

There's a roundabout in Bungay (Suffolk), which has loads of dumped cockerels living on it :roll:

awwwww poor lil cockrels!!!