beckyfitz Posted October 10, 2010 Share Posted October 10, 2010 Yesterday Muriel was fine, free-ranging, eating & picking on my new duckling! Today she didn't come out of the nesting box. I brought her out at lunch time & she had a long drink then went back to the nest. Later this afternoon I brought her out again & sat her on my lap to see if I could coax her to eat - as I sat her down she regurgitated water from her beak. She wouldn't eat. Her eyes are bright, comb is fine, no lice or mites though she has lost some feathers on her tummy over the summer. She hopped off my lap, had a half-hearted peck in the grass then made her way back to the nest area in the eglu. She hasn't laid today but isn't laying every day at the moment. Do these symptoms ring a bell with anyone? many thanks, Becky x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted October 10, 2010 Share Posted October 10, 2010 Sounds as if she might be working up to laying a soft egg. Has she been wormed recently? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted October 10, 2010 Share Posted October 10, 2010 How is her crop? You mentioned regurgitating water? Check out this link to see if it could be sour crop. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beckyfitz Posted October 10, 2010 Author Share Posted October 10, 2010 Yes,thanks, I did read that post, her crop seems Ok but will examine more thoroughly in the morning. I'm just thinking it may be egg-related because of her wanting to stay on the nest Becky x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted October 10, 2010 Share Posted October 10, 2010 Sorry, just noticed that you said she has feathers missing from her tummy. Broody? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beckyfitz Posted October 11, 2010 Author Share Posted October 11, 2010 Ok, so her crop did feel watery & squishy so have tried to massage her to get her to regurgitate - successful twice but doesn't look red or brown, just clearish like the water she'sjust drunk. When I couldn't get any more from her I tried her with the pellets in yoghurt but she isn't interested in food. Any more ideas? I have kept on with the holding her up & massage but she will only stand it for so long. Becky x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...