Lesley Posted October 11, 2010 Share Posted October 11, 2010 As requested in the Bees section - I won 1st prize with this recipe!. Honey Spice Drizzle Cake 250g clear honey 225g butter 100g soft brown sugar 3 eggs - lightly beaten 300g SR flour 3 tsp mixed spice Topping 50g icing sugar 1 tbsp clear honey 2-3 tsp hot water Oven temp. 160C - grease and line an 8" cake tin. 1. Cut butter into cubes and place in saucepan with honey and sugar. Melt over a low heat until liquid then boil gently for 1 minute. Pour into mixing bowl and cool for 20 minutes so that the eggs don't cook when they are added. 2. Add the eggs and beat until mixed. 3. Add the flour and spices and mix well with a wooden spoon. Pour into tin and bake for around 50 mins until a skewer comes out clean. 4. Cool slightly in the tin before turning out onto a wire rack. 5. While the cake is still warm mix the icing ingredients and drizzle over the cake. If making this specifically for a Honey Show, where the flavour of honey is all important, use light brown soft sugar, a very well flavoured honey (heather honey by choice!) and only one tsp of spice. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted October 11, 2010 Share Posted October 11, 2010 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted October 11, 2010 Author Share Posted October 11, 2010 I've had to put half in the freezer as I recently started WW - and OH wasn't eating it quickly enough Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bluekarin Posted October 12, 2010 Share Posted October 12, 2010 guess what I'll be baking today? Sounds yum, thank you Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted October 12, 2010 Share Posted October 12, 2010 Mmmm, thanks Lesley! Can't wait to try this. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bluekarin Posted October 15, 2010 Share Posted October 15, 2010 I made this last night, but I think I should have used a deeper tin as it rose up quite a bit Luckily the parchment paper came up quite high, otherwise I dread to think what the oven would have looked like I really like it as does ED but YD didn't I don't usually like the taste of honey too much, but this cake is gorg. I have frozen half, so as not too eat it all too quickly Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted October 16, 2010 Author Share Posted October 16, 2010 Phew! I'm glad you liked it - I cobbled the recipe together and had only made it the once. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...