catherinedon Posted November 23, 2010 Share Posted November 23, 2010 what do you use. I got a big cat litter tray and filled it with soil from B&Q which the girs liked but quickly all the earth has been kicked out and now that my family of chickens has extended to 7 its not big enough any way. I say someone mention sand. what do you all use? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Gertie Posted November 23, 2010 Share Posted November 23, 2010 Hello I use a large under bed storage box with play sand, compost & diatom in. It has higher sides than a litter tray so the matter stays in mostly. Also it's quite big & they have not tipped it over yet. I'm looking for a large circular low trug though as I think that might be good. I can't find one at the moment as they seem to have gone out of the stores with the summer stuff! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lavenders_Blue Posted November 23, 2010 Share Posted November 23, 2010 I use a couple of large gravel trays from Wilkos with topsoil for my 5. I don't put more than an inch or so of soil in, it seems a bit mean but they do kick it everywhere and watching them in their home made dust baths in the summer there is only a very thin layer of earth for them to scratch into their feathers. They seem to get pretty covered so assume I must be putting enough in for them. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...