spencerwood Posted November 27, 2010 Share Posted November 27, 2010 Hello All, I hope all's well with you and yours and that someone might be able to offer some advice! We have three young and adorable hybrid hens, two of which are laying daily like troopers! In terms of the laying, Ginger would seems to do the business early morning and Grey in the afternoon. With the shortening hours of day light recently, they seem to have synchronised. Now, I let them all out the other morning, at approx 7:30am. Ginger and Grey came out briefly to have a spot of breaky before heading back into the Eglu, trouble was, there wasn't room for two and they got rather grotchey with each other. It's happended again since but is there anything I can do to help accomodate both of them? Should I get some more accomodation to go in our WIR? If someone could shed a bit of light I would appreciate it, as they do get a tad noisy and I don't want the neighbours to get funny! Thanks muchly! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted November 27, 2010 Share Posted November 27, 2010 Do you have somewhere you could put a small pet carrier? You could create a wee nest in it with bedding and one of them might go in there to lay? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chortle Chook Posted November 28, 2010 Share Posted November 28, 2010 Do you have somewhere you could put a small pet carrier? You could create a wee nest in it with bedding and one of them might go in there to lay? Hey that's a great idea. I'm going to remember that. I have recently purchased a larger hen house but to my surprise the larger house seems to have come with a smaller nest box area than my small hen house, and I've been wondering what will happen come Spring when my Silkies go broody as it seems likely that more than one will be broody at once. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted November 28, 2010 Share Posted November 28, 2010 those covered cat litter trays are good for nest boxes, and can be a lot cheaper than a carrier, if you shop around. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LeeMeadfan Posted November 28, 2010 Share Posted November 28, 2010 Or you could use a shoe box - cut in half and put whatever 'material' (eg straw etc) you use in nest box into it and put that in? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...