Daphne

Varroa breakthrough

I just heard on the news that Defra's National Bee Unit & Aberdeen Uni have been researching varroa and have found a way of injecting mites with a 'self-destruct' something or other which causes them to die (sorry for the rubbish description :oops:) Realising they can't expect beekeepers to go round injecting varroa mites :lol: they've developed a way of putting the active ingredient into autumn/winter/spring feed so the bees take it down and spread it about. The item I heard didn't say when this might be available commercially. But potentially good news beeks :clap:

available soon

Unfortunately not, depending on what a person understands as 'soon'.

They have found a possible method to do the deed but do not as yet, have any bullets or a delivery system. It may take 5-10 years(?), but that could be construed as 'soon' compared to 'not at all'.

I think spraying the bees (or the mites, rather) is the more likely introductory method than trying to get complex nucleotides into the varroa via a bee digestive system.

Regards, RAB

Edited by Guest

We already have hornets in our gardens - last year my co-beek neighbour found a nest in his, about 200 ft from the hives.

I don't think these are the hornets from hell though I might be wrong.

I have seen hornets here in the UK for years but the ones being reported in France are the Asian Hornet, a different animal altogether.

No - they aren't the same, although given I live near the place where the pesky French last successfully invaded England...who knows! I'm going to pay more attention to them this year, just to double check, the superhornet is distinctly coloured according to the article.