Tuftywatts

BLACK ROCK'S

Hi, I'm looking for 3 Black Rock Chickens (I live in Nottingham) - the only breeder close to me with 21 week old hens (not quite laying) is Little Morton Farm in North Wingfield. Has anyone bought from here previously and if so were the chickens OK. I've been offered 16 week old chickens from Belton in Grantham but I'm concerned about the time I need to wait for them to lay. Thanks in advance for anyone who could help as a new chicken owner I need all the help I can get! Tufty x :lol:

Thanks for the response BB - the poultry breeder with the older chickens said that he was feeding them growth pellets to stop them laying - he breeds in batches of 1,000 - should I be concerned about this? He said they would lay in less than a week once they went back to normal food. Tufty x

Hello

I Know that there is a place in Newark called Cobbs country store. They have pullets for sale. There didnt look to be any black rock but you never know! they also sell Hemcore and feed..

Good luck in your quest

I think your chap with the 21 week olds sounds great. If you feed growers pellets you won't get as many eggs as with layers pellets, but it won't do them any harm. Black rocks are a fantastic bird, hardy and well tempered, and lay great eggs. They're very nice to look at too. They're a well-controlled hybrid, only produced by a handful of people, and you should get exactly the same bird from any supplier. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Hi, Thanks for responses. Feel confident enough to get the new members of my family this week from the chap with the 21 week olds. Can't wait for them to arrive. I've looked into all the breed and Black Rock seem ideal for the type of chicken I'm looking for. Thanks again. I'll post a picture of the girls once they've settled down. Tufty x :lol:

Hi, Thanks for responses. Feel confident enough to get the new members of my family this week from the chap with the 21 week olds. Can't wait for them to arrive. I've looked into all the breed and Black Rock seem ideal for the type of chicken I'm looking for. Thanks again. I'll post a picture of the girls once they've settled down. Tufty x :lol:

Hi - I was going for 3 Black Rocks to start with but ended up with BR, one Bluebelle and one Light Sussex. BR is called Boots (from Dora the Explorer) and she is an absolute character - far more so than the other two. Follows me everywhere - and I mean everywhere - keeps pecking at the cat flap door and I'm sure before too long she'll be through it. Frequently stands in the porch eyeing up the hallway but husband hasn't allowed her to venture any further yet. he says there's enough poo in the garden without it coming the house as well (I have to agree)! She pecks at everything (not in a nasty way, just really inquisitive) and my 3 year old regularly carts her around the garden and takes her on the trampoline!!!!!!!!! Boots couldn't care less. Got her at 15 weeks old and she's not started laying yet, although the other two have, but she's ace.

how funny I have almost the same chooks as you debratugwell :D My Black Rock isnt the sharpest fork in the drawer but she does the most 'henny' things-digs for worms, dustbath excavation, and lays every day, she also stood up to our ginger tomcat quite impressively!

Cant recommend them highly enough.