Guest chookiehen

Chocolate courgette cake

Yes, really!

Has anyone ever tried it? There is a recipe for it in with my veggie box this week, and (as you may realise) my baking skills aren't the best, so before I launch into making it, I just wondered if anyone can tell me how it tastes?

It's one way to get the kids to eat their greens I suppose!

Never tied it myself Shona, in fact, I've never heard of it :roll: , it sounds intriguing though, perhaps you ought to bake it (don't tell the children what's in it until after they've eaten it though :wink: ), and the let us all know what it's like :)

This recipes with veggie boxes thing seems to be a common occurence. I've got a scrummy sounding beetroot recipe with mine today, that I think I'm going to make today, since, predictably the box contains beetroot :D

Actually my box turned up late, with a personal delivery and a huge flurry of apologies- I normally collect it from the farm on a thursday evening, but when I got there last night someone had forgotten to put it out :( . So by way of apology they threw in a free 1/2 dozen eggs. My heart sank, didn't have the heart to refuse, but with 3 hens laying now, and an extra 6 I'm currently at 24 eggs- and Brie hasn't yet laid today :shock: I'm going to have to either get into a baking flurry, or distribute them around the neighbourhood. If I had some courgettes I could even try your recipe. I've got the chocolate :wink:

I'm guessing it will be similar to carrot cake (which I LOVE), so am going to brave the kitchen this afternoon, put yesterdays failure behind me, and give it a go.

Wish me (and the poor kids, who are official tasters, poor souls!) luck!

yes I made Chocolate Courgette Cake and I think it was pleasant enough. I made the mistake of telling people what it was first though, so DON'T DO THAT! I got my recipe from Riverford, who have been delivering a lot of courgettes recently.

Do veggie boxes and chickens go together then?

What to do with all those eggs? I hard-boil 6 at a time and the children love them. they don't last long! I figure they're a better snack than choc. biscuits. They're useful for lunch boxes and also for me when I haven't got time to eat but need something to keep me going.

We've not had an egg last more than 36 hours since we got the girls. I suppose that when all 4 are laying, it may be a different story, but at the moment it's still a novelty for the kids to have a 'Belle egg' or a 'Star egg', and know exactly which bottom popped it out :shock: !

And we only started getting veg boxes after I got the chickens, becuase we realised what a difference ithere was in the taste of supermarket eggs compared with our beautiful eggs. Finally we all 'get it'. Organic veg and meat IS worth the extra money - we just eat less to keep in our budget! And if we didn't get the veggie box, we wouldn't have this bizarre cake recipe to try this afternoon!

I agree with you Shona. I started looking at ways to improve our food quality, the home-grown eggs & veg were the first part of it, but sourcing local, organic meat & veg very fast became a priority... and it's so nice to have fruit and veg that look, and taste like real produce, not bland, shiny, uniform supermarket stuff. It's also better I think to eat seasonally, and to get a little bit of a surprise each week when you get the box, to see what's inside it.

I don't think I'm spending much more on food overall, I shop a lot less now, so buy less supermarket impulse buys, and I buy cheaper cuts and cook 'em slower. It all tastes so much better that somehow I feel that we need less, because it's sort of more satisfying. Not sure if that makes sense :? ..... but I know what I mean :roll:

I know exactly what you mean! We feel now that by eating better quality food, less is required to give that lovely satisfied, warm full feeling!

It's taking a while to get the kids used to non perfect looking apples and carrots, but they're getting there!

It was a great success - it didn't even have a chance to cool properly, it was gobbled up by the kids and Chookiehubbie almost as soon as it came out of the oven!

It didn't taste like a strange mix of main course and pudding, it just, well, worked. A bit like carrot cake - before you taste it it sounds a bit bluegh, but once you eat it, you wonder how you hadn't come across it before! Will post the recipe in the recipe section tomorrow when I have a bit more time!