Henslaved

First Blue Tit *chick* of the season.

It's wonderful. What's your camera set up? Have you got extra lights in the nest box to give such good colour? I shall miss mine, I had two blue tit,(one of them raised 14 babies last year, cost me a fortune in mealworms :lol: ) one sparrow and a swift box set up but have taken the cameras out as the house is on sale.

Are you going to put updates up on youtube?

Camera set up is just one of those camera nest box kits from Aldi (£39.99) which includes nestbox, camera and cable they start selling them at the beginning of February but they're usually all gone within a few days.

The light comes through the side panels which are made from white plastic, you can also see them at night too as the camera has infra red :D .

You say you had a pair of Blue Tits that raised 14 babies, WOW! :shock: bet they kept mum and dad very busy (and you buying all those mealworms :lol: ). Last year I had a female that laid 8 eggs but only 7 hatched and when I came to clean out the nest box the unhatched egg was still intact and it was sooooooooo tiny, think I have a pic somewhere.

I will post updates if anyone is interested!

Lovely

Keep them coming.

She's put a lot of moss in already hasn't she?

Was this box up over winter. Mine were and they were roosted in by males....you can always tell. A female keeps her roost clean and the male lives in poo. Wasn't it always thus? :lol::lol:

I have starlings in the swift box which is very annoying. My fault as I left the nest hole open, I usually shut it till end of April when the starlings are already nesting and the swifts are not yet here.

She's put a lot of moss in already hasn't she?

No that was me :anxious::oops: , after I cleaned and disinfected the boxes in November I went into the woods and collected some as I felt guilty for stealing someones winter duvet :oops::oops: .

Was this box up over winter.

It was up over winter but no birds roosted in there.

Mine were and they were roosted in by males....you can always tell. A female keeps her roost clean and the male lives in poo. Wasn't it always thus? :lol: :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just an update from this mornings activities in the bird box :D.

I would have posted some earlier but at the moment there's only activity in the mornings while I'm at work, but my OH keeps me informed of what's going on. Apparently the female had to fiercely defend the nest box from another Blue Tit yesterday :shock: and I missed it :roll: .

Looks like he tried to bring her breakfast twice, but she seemed to be too busy spring cleaning :lol:

She seems to have cleared out most of the old moss :D

I love the way they wiggle even in an empty box :lol:

One of my older boxes has a bumble nest in it, I'd love a camera in that one.

Hmmmm a bee box :think: that would be interesting :D

They make me smile too when they do that little nest box shuffle :lol:

lovely pictures.

I've just looked back to my first nest two years ago and she laid the first egg on 26th April ...I was lucky enough to be watching at 7 in the morning and it was quite obvious she was laying...and the last on May 4th. When each egg was laid she covered the nest completely and the first glimpse I git was on day 7. On laying the last she stayed put. All fledged even though the male disappeared a week after they hatched. I did give her a lot of mealworms after he went.

You're not so far south of me so maybe looking at a similar timescale for nesting?

Nest box number 2 is nearly full now. The first 50 seconds or so are from last tuesday, the rest is from this morning.

She has just begun to bring feathers and fluff in just now.

Not sure why, but the colour never seems as good on youtube, it's far better on my tv and computer :!: