Henslaved

First Blue Tit *chick* of the season.

How can you tell? I assume she won't announce it to the world like the chooks do :lol:

BTW nest box 2 has definately been abandoned. I caught the Blue Tit from nest box 1 pillaging the best bits from it.

Sorry about the quality as the only way I could catch it was on my phone, and the snuffly and tappy noises you can hear are from my dog, wondering what loony mummy is doing :roll::lol:

Well OSH we have our first egg this morning :dance::dance: a little sooner than I expected, but just in time for easter :lol: . Didn't see her lay it but it was there at 7am.

And she is still pillaging from the other nest box, which definately isn't the same pair as I saw one female in each box at the same time. Which is a shame as I was hoping to watch both pairs and compare their progress :roll: .

My OH thinks I am mad as I did a little egg dance :dance: this morning :lol::lol::lol:

Well, my live mealworms arrived today as there are plenty of hungry mouths to feed around here.

We have a blackbird nesting a few feet away from the front door in the beech hedge and she hatched four little ones just a few days ago. The bloomin magpies attacked the nest today and even though I went to help mum out four or five time they got them in the end.....so sad.

If she lays again at least the hedge would have greened up by the time they hatch.

Our swallows are back but there is little mud to find to repair their nest so I have turned over an unused part of the veggie plot and given it a really good soaking. They have been helping themselves from that as have been quite a few bees, not mine I hope!! Nesting material and breakfast :lol::lol:

I have been trying to upload another update since 29 April (have been having problems with youtube, the net and computer :roll: ). Success at last :dance: .

She has laid 8 eggs and has started incubation :D . So, :pray: they should begin to hatch between 12th and 16 May :D .

I love that little wiggle she does after a bug delivery :lol::lol:

Got home from work today to find that one of the eggs has hatched :D:D:dance::dance: .

An hour later another one popped out. So, 2 so far, and Mr Blue Tit has been working his little wings off constantly bringing bugs, bless him.

I have also just looked in the other nest box I thought had been abandoned, and there are 3 eggs in there :shock: . Will have a look later to see what bird has been laying in there as the eggs look slightly larger than the blue tits. I suspect possibly a great tit.

Lovely.... Amazing to think that such a tiny pink grub will be out and flying at the end of the month.

I found one of our starling chicks dead on the ground yesterday. I saw one gaping at the entrance hole at the weekend and feared this might happen. The box entrance is underneath as it is a swift box and there's not much I can do about it.

Next year I'll seal the entrance till the swifts get here and the starlings are already nesting

This was taken a few years ago, poor quality but it reminds me of the day I happened on this family of goldcrests,just fledged. One of my favourite birdy pictures.

2999854077_b96c44eaac.jpg

Great photo. Have only ever seen a goldcrest once down here, I had to look it up to find out what it was :roll:

4 pink grubs hatched so far :D , shame about your starlings.

Definately a great tit in my other nest box, caught her covering her eggs this morning :D

Good news about the blackbird :D .

Well I think all 8 chicks have hatched, what do you think? I can't see any more eggs but there could be one under that wriggling mass of pinkness. I'm sure they have all hatched I just can't count all the little bodies :lol: .

Nearly forgot to add that the great tit has 6 eggs so far :D